What's the differnces between VW and AutoCAD.......

Autocad User = Past 17 Years

Vectorworks User = Past 4 Years

There's nothing more annoying than sloppy drawings, and plain and simple, it's not the program's fault (either one of them)

If you are receiving drawings with 50 lines on top of each other, then that person simply doesn't know how to draw.....

Here's some differences =

Scaling = Autocad is superior, you can scale "blocks" (same as symbols) far easier than VW. Scaling VW symbols requires scaling both 2d and 3d, and you cannot ever seem to scale symbols asymetrically.

Snapping = Autocad has the ability to snap in 2d or 3d with one tool. Making it far easier to move around your 3d objects. It also recognized when you are in perspective, or iso when moving. Autocad keeps X / Y / Z relative to the ground, VW keeps X / Y relative to the view (maybe you can change this???)

Solids Editing = I love the fact that VW is able to "go into" a solid and modify the pieces. In autocad, once you've subtracted or added a solid, there's no going back to modify it....

2D Plans = VW is superior here, Hybrid symbols are wonderful, Autocad can't compete, you simply have to use layers to get 2d hatches or gradients, and with Autocad, when you use gradients, the files get HUGE...

Hidden Line rendering = Autocad is much faster in calculating hidden line.

Unit Understanding = I love that VW can understand Metric and Inches at the same time. I can draw a box 300mm x 1', and VW doesn't miss a beat. Autocad can dimension using multiple units, but it only understands input from the unit setting you are currently set on.

Rendering = I have rendered many drawings from VW with results as good as FormZ, Autodesk Viz, or Strata Studio. Autocad never seemed to be a tool to use for rendering, which I suppose is why Autodesk bought 3d studio...

View management = I like Autocad's Paper Space / Model Space better, as well as their saved views. I feel like VW's Layers / Sheet Layers / Viewports / and Saved views are a little harder to figure out. Sometimes 3d Perspectives are a little tough to get just right. And when using multiple views of the same item on the same page, autocad has vw beat.

Overall = I WAS a die-hard Autocad user, and it was very difficult to pry myself away to use VW, BUT, I have been won over. VW is easy to use, easy to train other users, and the visual results are superior. I now use VW 95% of the time, and only use Autocad for doing multiple view details of items. I am not putting VW down by any means. But am trying to give a fair and biased perspective on the two... For what it's worth, that's my 2 cents...