Door/window sizes

bonus

Why are doors (door width) determined by the leaf size and windows by overall size in VW?

They both have jambs.

In my part of the Universe both doors and windows are determined by the overall size, jambs included.

Another Q: How do I create a door leaf with a filled panel in the lower half and glazing with 1 vertical and 1 horizontal mullion in the upper half?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In the US, doors are determined by -opening size- since it is often the "net opening" that is important to codes, etc.

As for your special leaf, go to the Parts tab of the Door dialog and choose Leaf as your part. Choose "custom" under Leaf Type and you will see a symbol picker. See if one of those symbols does the job for you. If not, you can open the file:

Libraries/Defaults/Door-Custom Leaves/Custom Leaves.vwx

and duplicate a symbol and edit the symbol to get the leaf to work the way you want.

Spend the money for WinDoor -- it's affordable and offers much greater flexibility than the native VW window & door objects. WinDoor sizes windows & doors by their overall unit dimension, and although I'm in the U.S. and standard sizing for doors here is done by leaf size, I find that there are so many other advantages to WD that it's well worth it... (and no, I'm not getting kickbacks from Julian).

Some of these issues can be easily resolved by back-editing via a schedule.Though I do have to say this has always confused me since in my experience as a carpenter, window callouts NEVER included the jamb... they were always based on the sash (Or even more accurately, exposed sash) and the carpenter added 2" to each side and 3" to the top (Or something to that effect).

Many ideas - many thanks!

We also have codes stating the free opening in escape doors etc but there still is a difference between the leaf and the real opening - not big, but still....

To make our life easier - maybe less artistic - we have a national standard for door sizes, including jamb widths. A 900mm (overall) size door is called a 9M door, a 800 mm a 8M door etc. Codes often state these M sizes. All doors manufacturers stick to the same sizes if they want to stay in business. That's free enterprising, the swedish way.