Sheet Viewports lost all settings

I finally got round to setting up a big project the way it should be done with a model file (with architect, survey, landscape layers) and drawing set up files with references.

Great I can control the colours of lines in the drawing set up file (by overriding) and have a simple way to update drawings as the model progresses. This took quite a while but I was ready to impress my dubious boss.

Then we changed the name of a top level folder and wham! every single reference and viewport setting was lost, even after I relocated the reference on file opening.

How on earth can this happen?

The boss is recommending I follow his cut and paste method and multiple file copy method in future rather than references.

He has a point. I want to go home at 5.30 too.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi,

If your references are using "Absolute path" and you change the name of a top level folder, the references will be broken. Is that what you mean by "lost"? However, when you open the file, you should be informed about broken references.

My advice is to always use relative path, so you copy/move the top level folder to another computer and your references will still be intact. You can get to this from the Organization dialog -> references tab, select all references, and click "Edit...", and select the "Relative Path" radio button.

In regards to viewport settings being lost. Viewport settings are not path based and those reside with each file. So changing the top level folder should not affect/discard any viewport setting.

I will be glad to take a look at the files. You can send them to tfapohunda at vectorworks.net

Best Regards,

Tolu

Exactly

I relocated the references fine.It should have nothing to do with the problem as you said.

Viewport settings should reside in the file. How can they get lost? This has happened twice now and I have also had a frozen viewport that refuses to have class or layer visibilities changed. Had to start again. Some viewport visility settings can get quite complicated and the only reason to spend time doing it is to save time on updates later.

I'll send you the files.

D