How much time do we waste because of wrong default settings?

Christiaan

Question

If someone was to pin me down for the one worst thing about Vectorworks I would have to pick the way default settings are dealt with throughout the app.

Why is that every time I export a PDF I have to check the "black and white" option, "Export as separate files" and uncheck "Export patterns at on-screen resolution"?

Everywhere you turn there are options like these to click for no good reason other than the default is not what you would choose and it doesn't save what you do choose.

It would be interesting to add up the time wasted in choosing and clicking on all these options in a year. No doubt it would amount to a huge number of wasted hours (and stress).

7 answers to this question

Totally agree Christiaan. The ability to set both tool and process preferences once and have those settings remain as they are from that point on is essential. A simple change of this nature would boost user productivity, reduce user frustration and minimise the likelihood of an error occurring.

No doubt it would amount to a huge number of wasted hours (and stress).

And message writing...

Raymond

C'mon, Raymond! I gather that Christiaan represents quite a few users. At least I do. This is a constant source of frustration and error to my users.

I'm not sure if the said preference variables are documented, but surely they exist somewhere. I have already replaced my users' Print command with a command that does other things, too (eg. date stamps title blocks.)

Hey, let's be positive out there! If someone can give me the preference variable references, in less than half an hour I can create a menu command that will save Christiaan's people countless hours.

Honestly, I wasn't being negative, but rather adding to the tally that if the default settings were remembered by all tools and preferences then one could also save on the time writing to the techboard to complain ... I mean suggest better alternatives.

There's another minute of my life I'll never get back, but hey, I like the techboard, too.

Thanks, AndiACD. I'm very glad you like Reshaper.

Raymond