missing VW 2009 speed

I upgraded to 4G RAM, then tested a 3D interior auditorium Renderworks render on VW 2008. It took 4 min 20 sec. Then I installed VW 2009 and did the exact same render view on the exact same file. It took 3 min and 20 sec. I was under the impression that VW 2009 was "4-5 times faster" which I thought would mean it should have taken a minute in VW 2009.

Am I missing something ?

OK ... but .... what part of a 3D rendered scene is "3D modeling operation with parasolids" and what part is something else ? Is the '3D modeling' only 10% of the total render operation time ?

Is it possible that only brand new files that are initally drawn in VW 2009 will experience the speed increase ? Is there a way to "update to VW 2009 objects" that will allow quicker rendering of VW 2008 files ?

From the 'Parasolids Advantage' pdf:

Vectorworks 2009 Benchmark Scores

What the integration of Parasolid means in your real-world application:

? Vectorworks 2009 is up to 12x faster for Boolean operations, including surface addition,subtraction, and intersection

? 3D modeling operations are 4-5x faster in Vectorworks 2009

? Viewport renderings are 2-4x faster in Vectorworks 2009

As I understand it, some of the computations in a render are now cached so if that render takes place again, it doesn't have to redo the caclulations. Im not sure which parts are cached and what can be done without dirtying the cache - ie can you move a view, change a light or texture etc and still use the cached information.

It was also told direct to me by NNA that the caching also occurs when not using a viewport. But this contradicts the documented changes as above.

Obviously caching will not benefit the first render, only subsequent ones and no information is available as to whether the cache is saved across sessions.

thanks for all the info ..... you all might be interested to know that I took the exact same file rendering as reported above, and then made a viewport and tested the speed of the viewport render (final quality renderworks).... surprise... the viewport render took 3 min 40 sec ... actually longer than the 3 min 30 sec render time I initially reported from a design layer. Any explanations ?

PS: I'd attach an image of my test render.... but I still can't figure out how to attach it to this web site.

I just did a test render to check speed too. A render that took 30 min. +/- in 2008 took 30 min. +/- in 2009. NO increase in speed here. It also seems that 2009 uses more memory than 2008. I am, however, working with less than the "recommended" system. This is why I got an evaluation copy before upgrading.

I was considering an upgrade to 2009 to speed up my renders. Not any more.