Different Floors on different Design Layers

Hi all,

Im having difficulty getting my head round the design layer working method. I gather from the tutorials I've done that you put different floor levels onto different design layers. However, What if you have certain spaces which are double height or elements which continue through several floors.

Also, what about split levels. I just completed a uni project in which I had a spiralling circulation route which passes through the various zones- each at a different level within an existing building. So I had the outer shell of the existing building which continued through all the 'floors' and then the different zones of my internal design at varying levels. I didn't get the concept of design layers so I just modelled everything on one design layer. However when it came to creating plans this had obvious implications. How would you decide what goes on what design layer and how many to create?

I hope that all makes sense. I tried looking for similar threads but couldn't find anything. If you know of one, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers,

Malte

I just completed a uni project in which I had a spiralling circulation route which passes through the various zones- each at a different level within an existing building.

Ah, didn't we all do a Uni project like that?

Malte, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to split levels - you decide how to set it out, depending on the parameters of your particular design. Floors can be at any level within, above or below a layer - you can have a layer for each and every level, or you can have just one layer with all the floors set out relative to it, or (probably) something in between. It does get complicated with overlapping levels, and I would be interested to know how others cope with that.

In the case of an existing building, I would start with layers for each existing floor level plus the roof, because you have to show the existing for the Council and the existing exterior walls and roof will be easier to draw, then look to set out the new levels relative to those layers, which is how it will actually be built as well.

yes we all did, mine was a double helix inside an old brewery...

i would separate out floor layers from walls,

slicing the wall plans in some 'logical' way

related to fenestration or outside connections,

and have a floor plan for each floor level.

that way you can present the floors in relation

to each other, even graying out ones further below

with class overrides on a number of viewports layed

on top of each other, with whichever plan, or cropped

portion of plan that is appropriate to the floor being

displayed...

The general idea is to use different design layers for different base heights (z). Combined with ∆z set for each layer it automatically gives you a building of stacked floor plans.

You may use different design layers with the same z setting to differentiate furnishing from walls etc.

If you have objects going through several floors, like shafts, either draw them on the lowest layer (lowest z value) and determine the objects' own z height position to fit into the building - or - create a new layer for each of these objects and set the z height of the layer, so it fits where you want it.

Remember all objects' z value is relative to the Z-level of the layer it is drawn in. If you move it from one layer to another it might jump way off.