if you would be going down from that

floor level you are on...

I can't complain too much though, since

we are still using feet and inches!

It is not you. It just says "Up."

It is ridiculous, but you just have to

turn off the "show arrow" option

and write your own "Down" as text.

Ridiculous indeed, but not in the way described.

Why would one have to say "up" or "down" in the first place? If the arrow would always be "up", there'd be no issue or problem.

Miraculously, us Europeans manage to get buildings built without any text related to stair direction. You see the arrow, you know it means "up". Easy, simple, unambiguous, error-free. We also know that stairs that go "up" also come "down".

Well, you are. Among other things you assume that all intelligent life forms in the universe speak (and read) the peculiar dialect of English used in your country (with some 4% of the population of even this planet.)

Here in the civilized part of this planet, we speak tens of languages and get along very well. Most Americans can't even point to the direction of Europe or mention a single country in the European Union (population roughly 500 million. I guess I need to tell you that the population of the United States of Arrogance is roughly 300 million.)

Edited by panta rhei

You're most welcome. I think the total level of knowledge of the World (Earth, Humankind, population) in the U. S. of A. just has at least doubled. The ability to point to the direction of the largest economy - the E.U. - is yet another thing. In CA (whatever that is), where do you point to when asked to point towards Europe?

I feel I need to appologize on behalf of roughly 4'999'999 europeans. The shown arrogance reflects his view not ours in general.

But yes he's right, by european standards stairs are shown with up arrows only which simplifies things. Metric units are also simple, once you start using them. But why on Earth do we all still use hours, minutes and seconds then? And americans with a.m. and p.m. on top of it?

We'll get to something better - metric time - in due time - even in Finland, whoever knows where that is.

Finland, whoever knows where that is.

Fascinating! Sweden colonized Finland for some 800 years, until Russians finally freed us in the last war Sweden has ever fought, 1808-1809 (The Russia - Sweden match: 200 to nil, but the Finnish casualties were , as usual, quite high.). And now this subject of the pathetic descendant of the phenomenally unsuccessful Marhsal of Napoleon, Count Bernadotte, still thinks that Sweden, the land of non-innovation, still rules the world. My, my.

By and large we have only stacked stairs. OK: in some countries there are still some people living in detached houses of perhaps only two stories, but I'd assume that by now the majority of Europeans live in real cities, in apartment buildings.

The arrow is always, unambigously, without exception, up. Simple and language-independent.

But whatever: I'd be happy for any CAD-program to adopt YL?S for up and ALAS (not intended...) for down, based on the U. S. of Arrogants Minority Rule Principle.

Nicely put again Petri. As always, amusing posts.

Some topic readers might thank you for clarifying my thoughts, - nevertheless it might be MY business to express my own thoughts. It's a question of who rules whom.

For that matter the whole world should rejoice that we don't rule the world, at least I do. It would be such a boring place....I'd rather have you to do it. At least it would be a laugh...You could be my king (I'd love a new one) and Pat my God. Eventually my life will have a meaning. Why don't we all start a new religion by the way: "VectorWorship" where the suicidal practice of 3D modelling entitles you to 17 virgins - sorry, 17 vectors - in Heaven?

....maybe I got a little off tracks....

Wes, how do you draw escalators? They go both up and down depending on the switch position. Do you write "business hours: UP" and "after closing hours: DN"?

We use the arrow to show the high point of a stair. Consequently also the high point of an escalator. No need then to tell which way it goes, because it's obvious.

Of course it's more sensible to meet different standards. Arrows up or down is not really the issue as I see it. The question is whether we should make good use of the internet, that shrunk the world drastically. We are closer to eachother than ever before and the possibility to work in overseas projects could be immense. And we can do so over the internet. But when we do we need common standards as much as possible.

I have friends in Canada doing projects in Europe and I have made a couple of jobs in both US and Canada myself. The more we speak the same language, use the same symbols and drawing methods, the more we avoid complications.

To get there we need to pinpoint the differences, discuss them, evaluate them and let the fittest survive as an international standard. It's us - no government or authority, that should set these standards.

We (Europe) have a lot to learn from non- european countries' way of doing things, but also some contributions to make.

The biggest obstacle, despite cad-conversion, is still the imperial unit system, obsolete in most of the world by now. The US is seen as static, conservative and progress hostile by most europeans, even though news mostly come from there and rapidly are adopted by us. So, as often, this view doesn't make sense. But with these inches and feet it makes sense. You, forum members, can make a difference here.

So, the bottom line is: let's be openminded, see what's out there on the internet and learn from it. Set new standards in the Panta Rhei (everything flows) philosophy spirit - nothing is meant to be forever. Not even stupid 60 minute hours and 60 seconds minutes, - they all pass by.

As for the landslide...we are actually just talking about an arrow.

I've made my speach and may have been abusive and made fun of the topic- please all sensible forum members, forgive me.

I will now pray for the international adoption of the european stair arrow standard. God (whichever - even Pat), you can make it happen! Halleluja!

Bonus,

You've made my day!

EDIT

Sweden is, as far as I know, the only country where escalators have signs saying "Ej upp" (not up). But there we go: a "key" (of a lock) is in Finnish "avain" (an opening device), in German "schl?ssel" (a closing device; I refrain from verbing the meanings).

Do we open or close our doors & locks? Ascend or descend our stairways to heaven?

Edited by panta rhei

Ha! - that's a good one - and a true one. Now I'm ashamed on behalf of all Swedes.

But on the other hand a tip from a genius to Wildernessbob: Just print "not" in front of the "UP" - an there you have your down arrow!

And if you really mean "up" - make sure there is no missunderstanding. Print "indeed" after "UP".

Even so, I still make my own. Cause I want 'em the way I want 'em.

A little off topic, but what font is that you're using, Peter?

I've been looking for something like that. I've used Technical, and had problems with it exporting to Adobe; and we have since switched over to Archie, which I got off of the VW website. But there's WAY too much empty space above the font, which makes spacing very complicated. Is there any way I could get that font? Thanks a Mill!