Convert class names to AIA Layer Satndards?

We have a new client who is requireing us to produce Drawings using the AIA Layer Standards (i.e. "A-WALL-NEWW", etc). Is there a way to convert the standard VW class system to AIA standards (which all of our consultants use as well)? Is there a way to change the "default class" of parametric objects such as doors, windows and columns? For instance, when inserting a column, I would like to put it on the class "S-COLS". But instead it by default goes into "Structural-Columns".

We are using Architect 9 on MACOS 9.1. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Use the Modify Layers and Classes command. Before you try this, back-up your drawing. Run the Modify Layers and Classes command.

To use all the standard AIA classes click the "Load" load button and select the file ...\Extras\VA2AIAClasses.TXT. This will create and map all the VA classes to AIA classes. You can do the same thing manualy and save it to use next time. Click the next button and map your layers to the AIA layers. (Sorry, no predefined maping for layers.) Save the maping once you are done so you can use it again. Then click finish.

One warning, any objects contained in the layers and classes that are left in the existing list will be deleted.

More detailes are avaliable in Using Standards chapter under the heading of Altering an Existing File Structure in the Architect manual.

Changing the insertion class of objects depends on how you are inserting them. If you are using the Object Browser you can change the class of the object in the Object Browser file.

quote:

Originally posted by jhutchison:

We have a new client who is requireing us to produce Drawings using the AIA Layer Standards (i.e. "A-WALL-NEWW", etc). Is there a way to convert the standard VW class system to AIA standards (which all of our consultants use as well)? Is there a way to change the "default class" of parametric objects such as doors, windows and columns? For instance, when inserting a column, I would like to put it on the class "S-COLS". But instead it by default goes into "Structural-Columns".

We are using Architect 9 on MACOS 9.1. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

[This message has been edited by klinzey (edited 04-18-2001).]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Use the Modify Layers and Classes command. Before you try this, back-up your drawing. Run the Modify Layers and Classes command.

To use all the standard AIA classes click the "Load" load button and select the file ...\Extras\VA2AIAClasses.TXT. This will create and map all the VA classes to AIA classes. You can do the same thing manualy and save it to use next time. Click the next button and map your layers to the AIA layers. (Sorry, no predefined maping for layers.) Save the maping once you are done so you can use it again. Then click finish.

One warning, any objects contained in the layers and classes that are left in the existing list will be deleted.

A more detailes are avaliable in Using Standards chapter under the heading of Altering an Existing File Structure in the Architect manual.

Changing the insertion class of objects depends on how you are inserting them. If you are using the Object Browser you can change the class of the object in the Object Browser file.

quote:

Originally posted by jhutchison: