Extrude vs. what else?

I am new to vectorworks and I am working on a project in which I need to make an area similar to a football stadium, but rather a quidditch stadium. I have tried extruding an oval various times but I can;t seem to get that to work. Can anyone give me any advice on an easier way to do this or what I am doing wrong. Along with how I would go about putting seating in it as well.Thanks.

Drafting in 1/4" scale? As in your design layer scale is set to 1:48, right? (As opposed to having the layer scale set at 1:1 and drafting as if it's 1:48 (yes, it's happened before)).

The extrude tool is very simple; if you tell it 50', it is 50'. If you fancy attaching your drawing to a post we can have a look.

You also have to be careful how you enter the values for the oval. If you are trying to enter 1 foot but forget to add the foot mark ' and the document units are inches then the number defaults to 1 inch. It is a good practice for this reason to enter the unit mark if other than the document units and to check the box "show unit mark" in the units dialog. If you have the units set to feet & inches, the numbers entered without the unit mark default to inches.