Rendering quality

MBMD

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Are they set to not cast shadows?

What is the window glass texture set to? You could modify the water texture to do glass, just increase the glass refraction to 25% and lower the fold amplitude on the leather bump, and increase the texture size so that the windows show just a bit of waviness (or remove the bump completely if you don't want any slight waviness in the glass panels).

Edited by Dave Donley
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave

No you are missing the point I'm trying to indicate here as I'm very happy with the water and Glass textures

The lights are at 25% with shadows off, but it should not effect a wall on the outside and totally out of reach from it's direct light. It seems it effects the HDRI to enhance it's light intensity.

Look at the area I marked and compare it to that in 5b

The only major diff is that 5b does not have any extra lights in where the other has 4 point lights and that inside the lower building.

Hi Guys

Here are two renders done the same exept for 5 point lights in (b)

Custom RenderWorks -HDRI (+5 pointlights in b), Lit Fog On,

Curve Detail=High, Ray Traced Shadows, Sampling=High, Used Anti-Aliasing,

300DPI, 2000pixel width (locked aspect ratio),

Rendering Time:(a)1:45:00, (b)1:38:40

Lit Fog has no different effect on the brightness I'm getting with the point lights, as mentioned before, they are inside the building - @ 25% with no shadows. Only real difference is the fountain water not being so bright, but Lit Fog will have to be ON for the lights on the trussing structure.

What would be the reason for this?

Will add 7c when rendered...soon.(Same as (b), but no LitFog)

Any advice as to rendering the fountain water would be appreaciated

Only thing I still see as being a concern as I will now add the trees+plants and the accual Stucture we will be building.

Will also do a different view once I have come to understand SLVP's. Will have to be before the end of the week as we will be closing for the holidays.

Thanks

Hi Guys

Here is the final product. This took a lot longer than expected....over 4hr's, but I think my vertial memory was a bit on the low side.

CustomRenderWorks-HDRI +5point lights(cast shadows on)+ the 18 red spot lights. Lit Fog ON.

Curve Detail=High, Ray Traced Shadows, Sampling Qaulity=High, Used Anti Alaising,

300DPI @2000Pixel Width(Locked aspect Ratio).

Didn't quite get the fountain right but it is a good enough repensentation of it.(Forgot to change the colour of the texture from clear to white...), but the rest looks pretty good to me.

Would love to see the difference that C4D will deliver with the same thing, but alas I still have downloading problems with that.

Enjoy.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you don't mind Carl I'd like to have someone render that with 2008 or 2009. 12.5 was hampered at multi-core renderings with HDRIs.

If possible if you could email me the file just for my own testing that would be really great and I'll let you know the timings, and try out some things with the fountain.

Dave

Will do, Would also like to see what you could do to the fountian without using a photo.

Thanks Bill

If only I could get a C4D Demo downloaded.....

Printed out it also looks amazing, not just on screen.

BTW. Today will be my last day at work for this year, back here on the Jan 12th....Enjoy the festive season guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey there Carl. Trying to revive this old thread? Checking to see if Dave was able to do anything with your model in a newer version of VW?

Funny that we were talking about how C4D might compare in 2008 and now VW uses the C4D rendering engine. Are you still using 12.5, as your signature indicates?

I'm using VW2011 and, while it does have some quirks/bugs, I am really liking it, especially for interior renders. The attached render was lit only with an HDRI background and "indirect lighting" turned on. It could certainly use some tweaking & refinement but it's much better than anything that I could have gotten out of previous versions of VW without much more work on lighting and much longer render times.

Have you been working on any new renders?

Bill-

Wow - that's really nice! Good work!

Do you have an approximate idea of how long that took to render?

Not that you're asking for feedback, but to me the only thing that needs tweaking is the stainless steel texture on the appliances. I know that you're not going for photo-realistic (and I also know how time-consuming it is to tweak Vw materials to get good reflections while not sending your render times through the roof) your image completely conveys the design intent. Well done!

Regards,

Tim

Thanks guys.

I was focussed on the tile backsplash. I did a series of renders with different textures to help make a decision about which tile to use. The marble 1x1 won.

You're right, Tim, the stainless needs tweaking. The cabinets also could use a bit of work. The VW PIO doesn't create gaps around doors and drawers when using flush mounted doors (MAJOR bummer.) If I was going photo-realistic, I'd also want to work on a good background for outside the windows.

I don't know exactly how long that render took but it wasn't too bad. I'd guess between 15 & 30 minutes at 300 dpi, custom renderworks, on my 8-core 2.93 GHz i7 iMac.

If I get a chance, I'll run some other renders, time them, and post the results.

Hi Bill

Yes to all the above.

The Render on other versions, Yes still same setup and I have time now to play around with VW, but it is not working with me.

Go see this thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=157134&page=1

Your render is really looking great.

Only 30min? Wow! My FWS(Fast with Shadows) take like 95min.

Will be doing a Custom Render as dave recomends today to see, but I recon it will hit close to 120min.

This was a "Fun Render" to test a new HDRI.

(see attached)

Thanks, Carl.

I just ran that render again on my 2.66GHz 4-core, i5 iMac and it took 35 minutes and 26 seconds. This machine has only 4-cores (instead of 8) so it's slower than my other machine.

The render was of an 8"x11" sheet layer viewport on a 300 dpi sheet.

Attached are my custom renderworks settings.

I did the Custom Render and to my surprise it tkes less than half the time to Render.

Please see other thread.

Now remember that Render with the truss and the HDRI I did for this thread...It took +/- 270min with Custom Render. :)

You have so much more options in new VW

What you think of Bondevhuis HDRI?