2008 Version Layer Linking

I was going to say just use the Model View tool but I see it's in the Legacy folder too.

The Create Layer Link command should be in the Legacy folder but it's not. It IS in the All Menus group.

Obviously, by its action in hiding these tools, NNA is telling us to use Stack Layers but they haven't provided a means to enjoy the products of a traditional model-on-layer.

However, there is a backdoor way to create a classic model using Stack Layers and not Create Layer Link or the Model View tool (as has been discussed recently on the List Serv). I'll be detailing a work-around soon and will post a link here.

If you are using VW Architect or Designer, then you should be using a Design Layer Viewport instead of the old Layer Link command. It provides the same functionality and more by allowing the user to select which model layers to include or exclude dynamically after it is created. There is no "Locking/Unlocking" needed and all layer are properly stacked.

Simply turn on the building layers you wish to see, rotate to say a top/plan view and select "Create Viewport" from the View menu. The "Create Viewport" dialog will pop up. If you select to "Create on Layer" that is a design layer, it is automatically a new Design Layer Viewport. Then select the "Layers..." button and check the building layers that you want to include in the new "linked" model object. The same for Classes. When you accept "OK" the view switches to the new creation layer and a new object appears on screen. This is a Design Layer Viewport. IT is a single object, but has many controls from the OI Palette, unlike the old Layer Link.

Jeffrey:

On the the blog noted in the post above I've laid out the reasoning for wanting exploded lines, plus a solution to get to that condition while using Stack Layers. As the model becomes more complex, editing over the model in Annotations begins to take substantially more time than using an exploded line process, especially for those of us who want full control of line quality.

I just wondered if anyone at NNA felt that having a means to get to an easily edited line condition was worth pursuing. Might we see a similar--optimized--feature in V. 2010, for instance, where we could reach into a model to edit lines.

The last paragraph notes that Sketchup 7 has just added a means to "explode" drawings into vector and raster elements, for ease of editing.

Edited by tguy
  • 2 weeks later...

If you place all exterior elements on exterior classes and have only those on then the Viewports Line quantity is greatly reduced facilitating easier editing.

The better solution for elevations is to develop Grey tone textures of the colored textures that then allow for no hidden line only Final Quality Renderworks rendering on one viewport background and Hidden Line on the other viewport front. See the thread below.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106644&gonew=1#UNREAD

Classing to control elevation views is a good way go but for a lot of users, especially new users, it creates too much overhead in the management of the drawing, given certain alternatives, in my opinion.

I've just finished a movie on the process I've described above and will post it soon.