visibility of symbols?

jonk..

You can change the visibility of anything with classes. Be aware symbols are a container, objects inside the symbol can also be controlled by class separate from the container (symbol) itself.

I haven't seen a center line on symbols when printing.

Please create a signature with your version of Vectorworks and computer specs including OS version to make it possible to help.

when you say not seeing center line on symbols when printing...

i meant, actually being in a symbol, and printing from within the symbol... is this what you meant? if so, i'll have to take a snap shot to show you what i'm seeing... (see pic below)

to make my question clear on the visibility, lets make this an illustrative example, lets say i have a car with 4 wheels, the two wheels in the front are the same symbol called "front wheel", the two wheels in the back are a different symbol, called "back wheel" inserted twice in the "top" layer car (same with front wheels)... but both wheels symbols have another symbol inserted in them called "lug nut" the two wheel symbols use the same exact symbol in otherwords.

all of these 3 symbols are on the same "class" right now.... or they don't have a class yet

so i want to hide the front wheel, and not the back wheels and i don't want to hide the lug nuts obviously in the back wheel either....

how do i select the front wheel and make it a different class? (first question) and what happens with the lug nut symbol that is also happens to be in the first "front wheel" selected? (second question)

(better question is how do i make this work?, given above example)

Thanks,

Jon.

You can hide the whole symbol without affecting the other symbols by selecting it and giving it a class that is not visible.

Yes, that will always be there. Why do you need to print from the symbol edit? Once again you can use classes and saved views to isolate the symbol to print. You could also just paste the symbol itself in a new document and print from there if you don't want to see other objects.

------- Why do you need to print from the symbol edit? ----------

because i import from a complex BIM environment that has excellent management of it's parts, (making extremely complex (symbol in symbol in symbol) possible.)

so it is extremely useful to print within symbols (because symbols really are whole environments unto themselves) in such true BIM situations.

it is too bad about that centerline, because it actually works to import such environments into VectorWorks... I'll try playing with the classes on symbols in such a tree'd structure and let you know how that works.

the only problem with importing such massively "tree'd" environments i've run into is that Vectorworks has an error in the DXF import of a symbol with a scale applied.

for instance if the "front wheel" is inserted into the "car" at a 50% scale, vectorworks mistakenly thinks it can't handle the scale (which it can) and makes the symbol a new "group" with an arbitrary name.... then hardwires the 50% scale to this "group" rather than simply importing the symbol normally, leaving the insert, then simply giving it the correct scale applied on the insertation.

actually a simple thing to fix, yet the bug report i submitted years ago has gone through 2 major upgrades of Vectorworks with no fix yet.....