Structural tools not documented

Oyvind

I have some issues with the structural tools on the Details palette

1) Is there any documentation on the structural tools, Angle, I-beam, Wide Flange ...? I can't find it.

2) Why must one place the profile on the drawing then use the OIP to set the series and dimension?

3) Where are the profiles to european standards?

4) Wouldn't it be nice to set a preference so that each time I select the tool my preferred series is preselected? Now I must change from AISC (inch) always.

The structural tools has been a part of VW for many versions now, and I still don't see how these tools are useful. It is easier and more reliable to draw the shapes from scratch.

Hi Oyvind,

For SP1, we have added DIN series to the structural shapes. You can customize the structural shapes so your preferred series will be the default by doing the following (I'll describe the I-Beam for this example):

1. Open the VectorScript Plug-in Editor (Tools>Scripts>VectorScript Plug-in Editor)

2. Scroll down the list and select the I-Beam and click Parameters...

3. In the Parameters window, select the parameter "__series_2" and click on Edit...

4. In the Edit Parameter dialog, open the pop-up under the Type Pop-up (this is supposed to be labeled "Default Value" but the label is missing)

5. Select your preferred series and close the dialogs by clicking "OK" or "Done."

Repeat for all of the structural tools. It should only take you about 5 minutes and all of the structural tools will be set to your preferred series as the default.

Tomu, thanks for replying

OK, your method works, all thou a bit cumbersome. I would prefer a solution similar to Hole-Tapped.

I didn't see any mentioning of new DIN shapes in the SP1 update notes.

HE-beams are still missing.

And the rather meaningless dialog box that pops up when first inserting a beam has not been improved, see picture.