Nut and Bolt tool problems

GWS

When I try to use the nut and bolt tool and click on the button to bring up the configuration dialogue box all the drop down menus are blank. I can drop a bolt on the drawing and then edit it through the OIP but not through the Configuration Dialogue box.

When in top view I don't seem to be able to click and drag the bolt from the centre for postioning purposes.....and lastly, although there is an item for a Button Head bolt it only draws as a Cap Head.

Are these bugs or is it just me?!

The blank dialog is a known problem for the Mac. It will be fixed in the next service pack. I don't know why you cannot drag the bolt by the center or draw a Button Head Cap Screw. I can't reproduce this. Can you draw any other types: Slotted Round Head Cap Screw, Hex Bolt, etc.?

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

Guy,

Make sure "Snap to Object" is selected on the Attributes palette. Also, double click on "Snap to Object" to bring up the SmartCursor Settings dialog. Select "Object" in the Category window and make sure "Insertion Point" is checked. Now, when you move the cursor over the center of the screw the screen hint "Insertion Point" will appear and you can click and drag the screw by this point.

What size are you using when you can't select button head?

Tom Urie

Hi Tom

Just to let you know, I have just installed SP1 for VW2009 and the problems with the nut & bolt tool still persists. There seems to be no improvement with the 'selection at the insertion point', drawing Button heads or flange bolts and also the dialogue box still comes up blank.

Any thoughts...?

Kind regards

Guy

Guy,

The fix for the dialog problem was not discovered until after SP1 shipped. The fix will be in the next update. I still haven't figured out the 'selection at the insertion point' problem. Is anyone out there having the same problem?

Tom

Hi Tom

I really would like a definitive answer to my problem. I have noticed that in Isometric view using the 3D tool I can access the insertion point on the bolts and drag and drop to the correct location. It only seems to be a problem in the 'flat' views.

Any thoughts

Guy

Guy,

I can see the problem now. If you zoom out to where the selection box is nearly as large as the screw head, you can grab the object by the insertion point. This is clearly a bug and I will enter it into our bug system.

Hint: After you grab the object, hover over the point you want to move it to and hit the "z" key. This will temporarily zoom in on the point to help you place the object accurately.

Guy,

Another hint: Open the Interactive pane of the Vectorworks Preferences dialog and set the Snap box size and Selection box size to the maximum. This will allow you to select the object in plan view without having to zoom out very much.