Exporting sheet layers to DWG

JETT

Question

I'm trying to export my sheet layers into DWG files but each time I export I end up with everything that is on my design layer. My intention was to export only what I have placed on my sheet layer, each sheet layer is composed of viewports that have come from my design layers. When in the process of exporting (in the DWF/DWG export options box) the class/ layer conversions does not give me the option of exporting DWF layers as Classes or Layers. Is there a way to simply export my present sheet layer?

16 answers to this question

I too have been trying to do this and was hoping that someone would come up with the answer to this. I guess that the viewports are linked to their repective design layers so need to have that link to generate.

It would be great if that info could be imbedded in the sheet layer during the export process.

I tend to export a pdf for presentation purposes and then the design layer for drawing/editing etc.

I may of course be missing something obvious here!

The Export facility is more for converting a VW file to DWG format, not so much for changing the contents of the file. But you can use it that way by keeping the things you don't want to export in special non-export classes. Then turn those classes off before exporting and opt not to export hidden classes.

My problem is that I draw my design on the design layer with each part or similar parts in separate classes. I then uses several different sheet layers, usually one for each part, to show 3 views (top, right & front) that I annotate and dimension and a 4th view rendered in isometric view.

This gives me the obvious advantage of having all the parts in one file and everything is easily updated.

What I would like to do is export that sheet layer to an Acad or other CAD user so they can work on the part further, Using the 3d viewport/part or indeed the other views.

As it already has been pointed out when you export the whole design layer goes too, which in a large complicated file is usually not helpful. I can turn off all the unrequired classes and choose not to export them, but if you're exporting several sheet layers that doesn't always help, also I can end up with rather alot of classes to go through and turn off.

If the 3D info was imbedded on the sheet layer in some way then the sheet layer would be a stand alone editable item.

I may of course be using Viewports incorrectly so any points would be greatfully received.

Does anyone have any thoughts.

GWS, do you understand that a viewport is just a window into the design layer? It shows objects that aren't part of the sheet layer. So of course the only way to give someone a file showing what's visible on a sheet layer with viewports is to give them the contents of the design layer also. The sheet layer gives them the window, and the design layer gives them the thing that's seen through the window. That's the way Autocad works, too.

Do you want to give the Acad user a 2D drawing of what's shown in the viewport, like Sketchup's Export to 2D DWG? That's not something you can do just by converting VW to DWG file format. You'd have to create the 2D geometry in VW, and then export.

Hi Jan15

I think I've got the viewport thing, at least I hope I have!

I suppose what I'm saying is, rather than have to go back and turn off every unwanted class, it would be helpful if there was an option to only export the classes associated with the particular viewports.

Guy

My problem is that I draw my design on the design layer with each part or similar parts in separate classes. I then uses several different sheet layers, usually one for each part, to show 3 views (top, right & front) that I annotate and dimension and a 4th view rendered in isometric view.

This gives me the obvious advantage of having all the parts in one file and everything is easily updated. {/quote]

Try putting the parts in separate layers instead of separate classes. Then you will have a single Design Layer to go with each Sheet Layer. You will still have all the parts in a single file for easy updating.

{quote]What I would like to do is export that sheet layer to an Acad or other CAD user so they can work on the part further, Using the 3d viewport/part or indeed the other views.

As long as you do a separate export of each sheet layer the above layout will do what you want. If you export all the sheets at once, you will get all of the data from each design layer included in AC.

As it already has been pointed out when you export the whole design layer goes too, which in a large complicated file is usually not helpful. I can turn off all the unrequired classes and choose not to export them, but if you're exporting several sheet layers that doesn't always help, also I can end up with rather alot of classes to go through and turn off.

Try using saved views to make it easier to repeatedly set just the classes/layers you want visible.

If the 3D info was imbedded on the sheet layer in some way then the sheet layer would be a stand alone editable item.

Design Layers are Model Space, Sheet Layers are Paperspace. If you want them to have both, then you have to export both. As stated previously, Viewports are just a way to look at the information on the Design Layers.

Until you are quite familiar with both data models (VW and AC) seeing why the conversion back and forth is challenging.

Hi Pat

Many thanks for the pointers. Saved Views maybe a good idea.

The reason I use classes is that they are more immediate than using layers as I would need to stake and unstack layers all the time and in a mechanical design where everything is 'intertwined' classes seem to give me more control and interaction.

I was hoping that there might be a simple way to export alot of sheet layers at once and keep the model space simple and not too full of parts.

Thanks again

Guy

One other workflow you might want to consider is putting the parts in different files as symbols and then referencing them in. or just reference them in as Desgin Layer viewports. That way you have a file for each part.

Makes it a little harder to go through and shoot out a separate DWG for each one, but makes reusing the parts in other drawings a lot easier.

Pat

Now that sounds interesting. I have not really got my head around referenced files. Am I right in thinking that the referenced files would update once altered?

I'll take a look at the VW help on that, but thanks for the tip, it could be a useful way to set up a project.

Guy

You can set a file that uses a reference to update manually or on File Open. If you know that you made changes to some of the parts, you can manually update that one file or all of the referenced file.

You might want to do families of parts in a file so you don't end up with thousands of references. I would guess that you would be OK (though management might be a problem) with 50 to 100 referenced files as long as they are not all changing constantly.

Pat

does anyone know if Vectorworks are planning to make this possible? it would be VERY handy to be able to export our sheet layers (plans and elevations/sections) into dwg so that our structural engineers can use them without getting every single thing in the design layer. I could see it being fairly time consuming to convert each viewport to lines and then export those to dwg. cheers.