How to name a custom window a single hung in my window schedule

Andrew Mac

One strategy is to leave it as "custom,"

but also add a new column called "Notes"

in the Header Row of this notes column you can type: "=(Window.WindowDesc)"

Then in that row you can type "Double Single Hung" or what ever description you want.

You can type anything in this row and that data will be stored with

that particular window record.

picture16zz7.png

You want to type specific call-outs that are coded with the type of object you are working with.

This call-out includes a Record and a Field Name.

They are written in a very specific way, if you get one letter wrong it will not work.

In my example above I typed "=(Window.WindowDesc)" (without the quotation marks) in the Header Row,

In this case, "Window" is the Record, "WindowDesc" is the Field Name,

Now the cells below are blank. This is good.

Now type something like "Triple Glazed" in one of those cells, which falls in the row of the specific window you are dealing with.

Wa-La. That is it. You now have that "Description" tied to that specific window entity. That text is stored with that specific window's database.

Each Plug-in Object has many pre-defined call-outs like this that you can use.

Be aware that you have to type them exactly. And if it does not work, I swear I have fixed it by deleting it, and retyping it exactly the same way and it works.

To find out what these are I use Pat Stanford's Worksheet of Plug-in Objects script.

You can find it in the Vectorscipt Resource Share section of the forums.

Let me see if I get it right, when you add a column in a schedule and add a name the to header row, this new name becomes in new record field for the elements of this record, the window in this example?

Nope. There are a fixed number of fields created in the Parameter record of a PIO or of a record attached to an object. There is no easy way to create more fields without creating your own record and attaching it to the record.

You can put in the appropriate formula (=record.field) in the header row of a database to show the data in the corresponding field of the PIO or object.

The formula you put in must exactly match the record and field names or it will return the #Name? you mention in a later post.

The script for creating a worksheet showing all of the possible fields for any PIO can be found in this thread: http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23203&Number=113502#Post113502

Pat