trouble rendering multiple layers

Morgan Pileggi

i'm just starting to explore renderworks, so i am sure i am making some mistake, but i can't get multiple layers to render at the same time. for example i have my roof, walls and foundation on separate layers. i can see everything in wireframe and in shaded polygon modes, but when i try to use openGL or one of the renderworks modes everything disappears except the top layer. I've tried adding layer links but that does not seem to help. individual layers render fine if i turn the other layers off

what am i missing?

thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Morgan:

Is stack layers on? It's the button on the upper right of the window, to display all visible layers within a common 3D space rather than with their own views, etc. Or try a viewport with those layers in it. Viewports are a nicely-controlled environment for rendering and page layout purposes.

Thanks Dave;

I do not have a stack layers button, ( i'm using VW11), or at least it does not appear in the upper right. searching the help files did not turn up anything about a stack layers button, is this a later feature?

anyway setting up a viewport did work, though i lost my drawing border (it is a sep. design layer). i was able to cut and paste it into the viewport. i had been doing everything with design layers and toggling visibilities to create final drawings for printing. kind of crude i know, but better then when i started using VW. i was drawing each sheet individually just using the 2d drawing tools. ( and before that it was pencils and rapidographs...)