Plant list growth height and growth spread

Doug L

I need to show plant growth height and spread due to local codes, so I have edited the plant list worksheet to show that data. However, does anyone know why the size data pulled in from the VW plants database results in the sizes being reduced to 1/2 or more in the plant list in my drawing?

A month ago, I was able to manually change those sizes in my drawings plant list to get past this issue, but now the plant list worksheet won't let me.

Also, since the planting design and quantities have changed since then, Its my understanding that I have to bring in a new plant list work sheet to get new automatic totals (it ask if I want a new or replace the existing) but then I lose all my manually corrected growth heights and spreads. Are any of these issues a bug?

I'm now able to edit the data again, but still have to type double the spacing, height, and spread I need, for example, 72 into the chart to get 36. But any changes to the design, after reimporting the plant list worksheet, is going to wipe out all these custom edited sizes....

The plant list form, that is somehow halving the sizes, originated as a copy of one of the four defaults, Plant List-Colors, at Applications/VectorWorks/2008/Libraries/Defaults/Reports~Schedules. I manually added columns and these to the database headers in the worksheet:

='Plant Record'.'Spacing'

='Plant Record'.'Height'

='Plant Record'.'Spread'

Incidently, when I manually doubled the size numbers in the worksheet to get the correct numbers in the worksheet, the result was that the graphics sizes planting plan's symbols doubled! So this doesn't work as a work-around.

Thanks for asking, Ozzie, I look forward to your reply.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ozzie for your help in troubleshooting the planting plan and plant list! I really appreciate it! Here is a summary for everyone's benefit: there are at least 3 ways to generate plant lists:

1. Per the Vectorworks manual, use one of the four defaults plant list worksheets via the resource browser and navigate your hard drive to: Applications/VectorWorks/2008/Libraries/Defaults/Reports~Schedules\Plant Lists.vwx

2. Per Alchemilla from another discussion thread, in the resource browser at the bottom of Plant Objects, there is a Plant List Working Drawings worksheet that sorts plants in the list by Evergreen Tree, Trees, Shrubs, etc.

3. Per Ozzie, go to the Tools menu/Reports/CreateReport/PlantRecord (not Plants). This gives you the option to select any of 40 data fields from the VW Plants database. This is a much easier way to create custom plant list worksheets instead of attempting to modify the 4 default plant list worksheets.

NNA, option #2 and #3 above need to be included in the manual's index and in the online help. Many municipalities are requiring more data in plant lists for permit approval. Perhaps this is already documented/referenced in VW 2009? (which I've ordered due to the plant area tool and other great time-saving improvements)