plant object components stuck in the "none" class

Many (but not quite all) of the outlines of new plant symbols I have created disappear when I make the "none" class invisible, even though the object information tells me they are are in the plants-components-tags class. Centre dots and tags remain visible. Oddly, if I make the "none" class active and switch the visibility to "active class only" they are not visible there either. Where have they gone and how do I get them back? I can get round the problem by always having the "none" class visible but it shouldn't be like this. I've also had problems with off-centre dots but that's a different story. I had these problems with the student version of 2008. Having recently bought the full version I thought I'd start from scratch and avoid the glitches, but it is happening all over again. Any advice gratefully received!

I would suspect that the placed plant object is in the none class and all of the objects within the placed plant object (think of it as a container) are in component classes. If you can't see the placed plant object you can't see anything inside of it. If you can't see the things inside of it (even if you can see the object) you won't see the things inside it.

Active only have very limited application as a Vectorworks setting.

Roger,

This is not a bug but a feature as programmers would say. When you assign a class to a symbol it does not mean that all the graphics that make up the symbol are in the same class. This setup is convenient if you want to count the symbols or display symbols in a predefined class only. The different objects inside the symbol can also have their own class assignments to display only a set of objects if desired. In your case, the symbol or plugin is assigned to the plants-components-tags class but the objects inside are in the none class. If you turn off the plants class, the symbol does not display and if you turn off the none class, then only the objects that are in the none class will not display.

Is it a symbol or the plant plugin? If it is a symbol, you need to edit it and change all the objects inside to a class other than "None". If it is the plugin, you can only edit it if the plant is based on a symbol. You will need to edit the symbol associated with the plugin.

The "None" class is a default class and cannot be deleted. Any object that is not assigned to a predefined class will be assigned to the none class. Why do you prefer not to display the none class?

Roger,

It's ok to class the placed plant object as plants. My comment was that with container objects (eg the placed plant object that as objects within it that are classed in different classes than the container) you should be avoiding setting the class visibilities to 'Active Only'. A normal mode for working would be to set it to 'show/snap/modify others' and to grey those you want greyed or to turn off those you want turned off using the orgainization dialog or the navigation pallet.

Classes are very powerful and I wouldn't want to see you not using them.

• 1 month later...

A bit belated but did you ever get your problem fixed? I've got the same one with a phantom class I can't find.

The off-centre dot is an easy one though. First, it's the graphic off-centre rather than the dot. It's caused by Random Rotation set on which spins the graphic and gets worse if you keep duplicating. Just edit the 2D graphic and re-centre. The cross hairs help but I haven't worked out how to control that yet!