Window Line Weights

christilou

I have attached a pdf that refers to my questions below:

1. In Vectorworks 11, when a window is inserted into a wall, it automatically assumed the wall's line weights tracing around the areas that are cut through in section. In Vectorworks 2008, the window is inserted and has thinner line weights than the wall. How do I get the lineweights of the window to read appropriately in plan view and reflect the line weight of the wall?

2. Also, the fill of the wall has disappeared when I splayed the window. How do I maintain that fill?

Edited by christilou
Guest Wes Gardner

Try going to the Window Settings dialog box, then under the View tab, check "Use Part Line Styles" - you'll now have the opportunity to select line weights for the various parts of the window.

Wes,

We tried that and for some reason it doesn't work. Do you have any other suggestions? I would really like it trace around the jamb, the sash, and the glass rather than highlighting the whole component. I attached a pdf that shows a door inserted. The door is doing exactly what I want the window to do.

Christi

Here's a very sneaky way to trick VW. Select the window and then in the attribute palette set the line thickness to 0, then set it back to .05mm or something other than 0. This usually resets the line thickness take on the values set via the window settings, view tab.

I don't know why this works but it shouldn't have to. It's a bug.

• 2 months later...
Guest Wes Gardner

try this...if you use "Use Part Line Styles", in the Attributes Palette, for the PEN STYLE, do NOT check Class Style or this will override the "Use Part Line Styles" scenario...

Hope this helps

Also, please include your machine/OS specs in your sig as it can help when answering questions

Wes

Thanks for your response -

The solution you propose seems to work under the following conditions only:

1. Attributes Palette is set as you described

2. The window / door is placed while in that objects active class. I.E., if you are in a different active class, and you are using 'Standard Naming' and 'Enable Auto-classing', it doesn't work.

3. "Use At Creation" is UNCHECKED in the Class settings of the door or window object.

To me these all are work-arounds, but I suppose they are better than changing each object individually after they are placed.

Given that this has been a problem for several versions now, can I count on NNA ever addressing it?

I have an observation which slightly modifies what I said previously. These are the criteria to make "Use Part Line Stlyes" work properly.

1. Attributes Palette is set as Wes Gardner described above.

2. "Use At Creation" is UNCHECKED in the Class Settings of the Active Class at the time the door / window is placed.

I hope this helps N.N.A. resolve the problem for the next 'service pack'.

Thanks -

• 2 months later...