Can't edit dwg after import

jmce

Question

14 answers to this question

Welcome the forum. Please create a signature with Vectorworks version including service packs (if VW2008 or later) and computer specs including OS version.

This would be a layer or class issue. Right click on the rectangle and choose Force Select, then look in the Object info palette to see layer/class info.

If you can see something and not select it, your settings under View menu>Layer/Class Options is set to either Show Others or Show/Snap Others. Depending on how the drawing is set up you can change either the Layer Options or Class Options to Show/Snap/Modify Others and you will be able to select anything as long as the object is on a layer that is both the same scale and in Top/Plan view.

When you import a DWG, it creates a new layer, so you should have two layers, one name Layer-1 and one named Name_of_DWG (whatever that file names was).

If you started with a blank document, it is likely that Layer-1 is at 1:1 scale and that the other layer is at a different scale. You can only snap/select objects that are at the same scale.

Try switching to the DWG layer and see if you can select objects there.

Pat

The file is to big for the Techboard.

The reason you can't select any individual object is they are all contained in a symbol, when you click on any object you are selecting the symbol.

Select the symbol, Modify menu>Convert>Convert to group (Ctrl+k). The symbol will now be a group. Modify menu>Ungroup (Ctrl+u) will ungroup it to individual objects.

Look in the Object Info Palette to see whats going on. When you select the symbol the OIP will tell you what it is. When you convert to group it will also tell you it's a group. When you ungroup it will tell you how many objects.

Yes, there is a chance, of nested symbols, or several stacking symbols. 

But first, just in case, and assuming that you start with a symbol selected (look at the OIP):

1. Note that the first step is not Group, but rather Convert to Group via Modify menu>Convert>Convert to Group.

2. Now OIP should indicate “Group”

3. You have a choice - Edit this Group, or Ungroup. Either way, select something.

4.a.  If it’s a Group, dbl click to edit and examine the contents. It might have geometry objects, or one or more Groups, or one or more symbols. 

4.b. If it’s a symbol, Convert to Group and Edit to see what is inside. Do the steps in 4.a.

5. Repeat until you reach the geometry.

HTH

-B

This post was really useful.  Moving on from it I wondered if there was any reason to say no to the alert that comes up saying undo objects coming up with class information.  I am a garden designer who is self taught (with some 121 training from reseller) so am unfamiliar with all teh BIM terms and technical detail an architect trains and uses in their drawings.  The drawings I have imported from the architect have services, balustrades, many different wall classes etc etc with references I imagine that are bespoke to their practice.  All I need to use are the house external wall geometry, the window and door geometry, boundary, existing trees and levels.  I have switched classes on and off to get a pared down image and want to simplify by making walls a solid line.  Is it simpler to trace over the drawing or can I amend the drawing in a simpler way Than this in future?  

I have a feeling I may be answering my own question if I say is it best to ask the architect to send me the plans with the classes relevant to my project in future?

Thanks for any advice.