Fit Walls to Roof

Eoin R

Question

The tops (and bottoms) of walls need to slope to properly meet a roof or other sloping surface. The current condition where a flat top meets a roof creates a complete mess in Section Viewports and in 3D modeling and seriously undermines the principle of using 3D models to create 2D drawings and accurate three dimensional models.

Eoin R (Dublin)

VW2008 Max OSX 10.4.11

9 answers to this question

Apologies but I cannot attach an image as I do not have a website that I can download an image to.

To clarify my problem and wish. The problem with Vectorworks Walls is that although they can slope along the length of a wall the top face cannot slope across the wall section. This results in the flat top of wall being unable to properly meet a sloping surface. It also tends to create a complete mess at junctions

You can set the meeting point to the centre line of the wall or the inner or outer face but this does not work well and especially where the roof profile and shape changes along the length of a wall.

The current 'Fit Walls to Roof' command at first sight is a work of genius but the mess created by the inability of the wall element to engage properly with the roof surface is very limiting.

A flat top plate is a pretty common way for the roof and wall to meet, at least around here for typical wood frame construction. A sloping top plate would be unusual @ the bearing wall. I do agree, however, that some more control as to how VW makes that joint would be nice.

Tobias, in many parts of the world concrete frames are the norm and then the interface between the walls and the roof structure is seamless. In some steel construction instances where the insulation and lining materials smoothly transition from wall to roof the same protocol applies.

To satisfy all needs there needs to be an option to have the wall tops either flat or sloped.

Also, Tobias, if you've got a wall style that includes not only the wood framing (if we're speaking of standard U.S. residential construction), but also any possible furring, masonry veneers, interior finishes, and so forth, you will most likely want these components to fully meet up with the roof element, even if, strictly speaking, the wood top plate is horizontal. I've run into this myself and would also welcome more control over the geometry at the tops of walls.