Elevations with symbols

AVD

I've been using VW for awhile, but am trying to expand my knowledge by drafting in 3D. I have a model that uses imported 2D symbols (a WC, etc). I just figured out how to use a section viewport and switch the configuration to elevation. Great! However, I want to show the elevations in "hidden line" mode...which makes the WC appear as a wireframe model.

Is there a way to cover the wireframe only with Open GL or some skin? Maybe using multiple viewport layers? I really want to begin to utilize more of VW's features and not have to import specific 2D elevations of every appliance/fixture in the model just for the elevations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your quick reply Peter. I tried your suggestion earlier while trying to figure it out on my own. What is confusing is where the foreground/background line is drawn. Is there a way to designate that line?

In this elevation (and others), the symbol (a WC) is in front of the wall, yet I can't differentiate between the distances. I want the background (walls) to be hidden line, and the foreground (WC) to be rendered. Does that make sense?

Thanks again...it sounds like I need to schedule a trip to Ashland for some training. I usually drive down at least once a year for the Festival.

Just let me know when you're planning to be here ;-) To answer your specific question: The only way I can think of to achieve the desired effect is by using two viewports (VP's) and a discreet class (or layer) for for the object(s) in the foreground. Create a new class called "WC" (or whatever), and place the WC symbol in that class (by using the pulldown list in the Object Info Palette (OIP). Start with the VP you already have and make a duplicate of it, placed exactly over the original. Now in the first (background) VP use Hidden Line rendering, and make sure that the class for the foreground object(s) is NOT visible, while in the duplicate (foreground) VP, use Open GL (or final quality RW's) and make sure the ONLY that class is visible. Let me know if it works... P