apply a jpg or image to a 3D solid

XOP15

Hi There,

OK I give up, I am trying to apply a jpg/image/picture to a 3D solid I have created, I can manage to apply a texture or a fill but struggling to get jpg onto it, I have done it before but only once and a long time ago.

Any help greatly received,

Cheers,

XOP15

VW2008 Fundamentals,spotlight,renderworks

What size is the JPEG?

Go to Resorce Browser,

Double click on an open space inside it > Create Resource window pops up > select Renderworks texture > Create.

Edit Texture window > Give it a name > Select Image Color > Import an Image File > {OK} > (find your image to be used > Deselect horizontal and vertical Tile if not wanted or just say OK >

Now you can set the shaders to a desired level and say OK.

It should now appear in the Resourse Brouser under the name you gave it in the texures tab....

Thanks for both quick replies,

Both methods seem to get 99% of the way to what I want.

I can select the "new texture" in object info then hit update, but the 3D solid just appears gray sure I am just missing some small detail here,

any further help would be great,

Cheers,

XOP15

How do you apply the texture? and what do you see in the display of the Edit Texture window.

Could you map the texture to the solid and have you tried doing the same to a different solid?

I have done an extrude of a basic block and applied a texture.

In Edit Mapping Window, when Map Type is 'Plane' Repeat Horiz and Vert. 'off' and Scale set to '1'

The solid appears to have no texture applied, exept for a small part of it.

What is your finding on mapping the solid??

Ok guy's thanks for the help on this, I have attached a VW2008 file & a jpg.

I just want to be able to paste the photograph of the cat onto the oval on the drawing. I seem to be able to get most of the way with your help, but I dont see the image.

The oval is a 3D extrude.

Cheers.

You need to create a texture first.

In the resource browser click on the Resource pulldown>New Resource in file...>Renderworks Texture.

Under Color select Filtered Image and navigate to the photo you want.

Deselect horizontal and vertical tiling.

Name the texture and hit ok.

That texture will now be in your resource browser.

Click on the object and double click on the texture or right click and choose apply.

In the OIP go to the render tab to adjust the image and/or use the Attribute Mapping Tool.

It's complicated at first, but after a while it will be much faster and easier...

HTH

Michael

You need to create a texture first.

In the resource browser click on the Resource pulldown>New Resource in file...>Renderworks Texture.

Under Color select Filtered Image and navigate to the photo you want.

Deselect horizontal and vertical tiling.

Name the texture and hit ok.

That texture will now be in your resource browser.

Click on the object and double click on the texture or right click and choose apply.

In the OIP go to the render tab to adjust the image and/or use the Attribute Mapping Tool.

It's complicated at first, but after a while it will be much faster and easier...

HTH

Michael

But that's what I said....

Well done XOP15

Edited by cad@sggsa

have patience > this may be a noob question, but do I have to have "renderworks" to apply textures to 3d elements even just to see in opengl render mode?

It seems like this feature set is pretty basic even for a program like sketchup and can't figure out why this is tethered to a rather expensive package [for what it does] like renderworks.

PS I have more than enough experience with long list of 3d apps... but, again, am a VW noob [please correct if wrong]

thanks