Why am I getting blotchy areas in radiosity rendering?

billtheia

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Bill:

Increasing the final gather accuracy will get rid of the splat artifacts from final gather. 10% is quite low, although it's a tradeoff for speed as always.

The detail size will get you tighter hugging of object boundaries, the accuracy value gets you smoother gradients of light.

Ray. I really WANT a new computer but need to wait a little while. Work is a bit slow right now (hence the time screwing around with rendering) AND I'm waiting to see what the new iMacs look like.

Dave. Thanks. It seemed like radiosity took about half of the render time and FG took half. Radiosity only used one of my processors and FG used both. I can mess around with energy %. Will I need to increase anything in FG to achieve the same image quality?

Assuming that the light has bounced around a bit with the radiosity settings then the image quality should be largely determined by the final gather settings. Good luck!

Do you have the Visible Objects Only custom radiosity option turned on? That can speed up radiosity with interiors.

Hello again Bill:

The recursion levels are listed in the Custom RW Options Render pane as Max Refractions and Max Reflections. The Refractions can be a high number like 64 and a decent number of reflections would be 3. Refractions doesn't affect speed much but reflections can if there is a lot of mirror surfaces bouncing off of each other.

Can you send me this cutout object? It looks like what you get when two polygons overlap exactly. It may also be the use of simple glass versus accurate glass.