newbie question

bertandmax

hi

pretty new to VW. on 2009 now. I do pretty basic shopfitting drawings usually, and draw everything in plan view (including any elevations). I set up my view ports based on the plan view - and never needed to do any different.

I am working on a large site which requires a staircase. I have used the staircase tool to create one, which works a treat! The problem is, as all my viewports are set up in plan, how should i construct my drawing to allow me to have a right hand view to show the staircase? When i change the view in the setup, i lose everything but the staircase.

Apologies if my terminology is all over the place. Hopefully you will get the jist of what i am trying to acheive

thanks

Mark

...how should i construct my drawing to allow me to have a right hand view to show the staircase? When i change the view in the setup, i lose everything but the staircase.

If you only need to see the elevation of the staircase, make a separate viewport for it, set the view to the elevation you want, crop as needed, and copy/create your 2d notes that relate to the staircase into that viewport's annotations.

If you are only drawing a stair with no building around it, you can use elevation viewports (View>Create Viewport.) These viewports can be put on design or sheet layers and tend to display faster and have fewer glitches. If the stair is in the middle of a building, you'll need to use section viewports (View>Create Section Viewport) which can only be put on sheet layers.

General VW method is to build your "model" in design layers and then use sheet layer viewports for presentation. You then add linework, dimensions and annotations in the annotations layer of the sheet layer viewport. You can also crop the sheet layer viewport to limit what is show. This allows you to keep your 3d model intact while developing a 2d set of drawings.

I suggest you keep the staircase in it's own design layer (A).

Then change the standard view (layers unstacked) to left, front or right.

You will see the staircase from selected side.

Create a viewport (VP) of the staircase (in sideview) in a new design layer (B).

Move the VP a bit so it stands clear from the original object.

Go back to layer A. Set view back to top/plan view.

Now you have different views in A and B.

Whatever change you do in A will bee shown in B.

You can create one VP from each side and line them all up.

Eventually you may likewise create a VP placed in a sheet layer for presentation purpose.

Try doing it in a blank document first, so you get the idea. In an existing file too many settings may disturb you and lead to unrelated problems.