VW 2009 Slow

Rick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray, pardon my ignorance, but how would permissions affect graphics processing? I'm having the same gray-out problems as @composed, as I described w/ images attached over on this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/cqpl8g

This is on a new 15" MacBook Pro with the dual video cards (nVidia GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT) and max RAM, no external monitor, working only with 2D line drawings and as much of the smartcursor fireworks turned off as I can bear. Is it that even the latest hardware can't satisfy the software? But then why isn't everyone having this problem?

Sorry to have more questions than answers; just not entirely glad to have upgraded from 12.5.

Hi everyone, I'm afraid I have nothing constructive to add to this discussion other than to say all of the above applies to me also. Having upgraded to 2009 (SP2 Build 99197) from 12.5 at the beginning of the year and after a few days I was back on 12.5. I don't understand why this only affects some people and not all. Hopefully the more people that add to this will spur NNA onto releasing a fix asap.

ps.All my work is fairly simple 2D stuff. All drivers up to date.

Cheers guys.

• 1 month later...

After installing sp3 (same MacBook Pro configuration as before) I'm still experiencing the screen-redraw issues. Clearly this doesn't affect everyone, but those who are affected seem to have the same "syndrome." Any ideas how we can figure out what our common denominators are? I'm not smart enough to see how my system and @deck's are alike, yet we're having the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, have contacted tech support numerous times about the slow issue of redraw on my macbook pro (tiger, 4gb RAM, 256mb graphics, 2.33). the suggestions have been reinstall, clear preferences, the trackpad fix error (even though I'm using a mouse anyway). Nothing has fixed it. I'm only on SP2 because that's all that is available for the E version, but this IS clearly an issue for MBP users, and it should be addressed in future releases. In the meantime, I guess its back to 2008 for us affected by these slow screen redraws.

This isn't a wide spread problem and it isn't just affecting MBP users. Your MBP is sounds to be older than verdancedesign so I'm not sure there is much in common there.

Listing your specs in more detail may help to troubleshoot. Graphics card, processor, etc.

Have you tried running disk utilities? verdancedesign has dismissed this (and others too) but I have seen many instances on OS X that this has cured problems.

Its a two year old 2.4 Mhz 4gb RAM, 256MB graphics card, and yes, I run disk utilities, yes, I run crone tasks, run Onyx, etc. That's normal.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07

SMC Version: 1.18f2

GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3175

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

Funny how its just Vectorworks 2009 that has this problem, and funny how a number of other MBP users are having this problem. As I said, I've spoken to VW NA, they've done the usual suggestions of trackpad and pre-selection, but its still slow as hell. I'm guessing you need at least a 512MB graphics card to run 2009 without the regen / redraw lag, which is a joke for doing 2D CAD.

2008 doesn't do this. Wonder what they changed to make it so clunky?

2008 doesn't do this. Wonder what they changed to make it so clunky?

I don't know what exactly has changed, but something definitely has changed big time because NNA say it has in the FAQ/Knowledgebase

Video Cards:

IMPORTANT - Vectorworks 2009 has a completely new document interaction interface which depends on a high bandwidth interface between the CPU and the screen. This has the potential to provide a very fast and fluid screen interface if used on appropriate hardware or a noticeably slower interface if used on the wrong hardware. It is especially important to choose a CPU and video card which are current-generation if you use Vectorworks on a very high resolution 30" monitor. Some users may be dissatisfied with 30" monitors when used with older generation processors or video cards.

We strongly recommend that all users check that their video drivers are current. Most functional problems have been traced to older video drivers during our testing.

As a test, try seeing if you can lower the resolution of your video card to see if the problem goes away. If it does, then it sounds like your hardware is not up to requirements of the new interface - I don't know if the new interface can be turned off - would be good if it could.

I am running VW 2009 SP2 (Build 99197) on a MacPro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 10GB of 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM on OS 10.5.6 and using a 30" Cinema Display with the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card at 2560x1600 32-bit color resolution

If only every User had these hardware specs ... NNA would be in programmers heaven.

I , too, would be seriously pissed-off... if this set-up was too slow to run a simple CAD app.

Let's face it... on average VW is really not doing that much serious processing.

Most of the effort is memory & GUI stuff.

So... then... there's got to be something wrong somewhere ...

I wonder if anyone has tried backing down the screen resolution and seeing if it seriously speeds things up. That might indicate a simple memory limitation, vs. driver problems, etc.... there might be no fix (short of new video card or computer), but at least you'd know...

Keith

I am running VW 2009 SP2 (Build 99197) on a MacPro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 10GB of 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM on OS 10.5.6 and using a 30" Cinema Display with the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card at 2560x1600 32-bit color resolution

If only every User had these hardware specs ... NNA would be in programmers heaven.

I , too, would be seriously pissed-off... if this set-up was too slow to run a simple CAD app.

Let's face it... on average VW is really not doing that much serious processing.

Most of the effort is memory & GUI stuff.

So... then... there's got to be something wrong somewhere ...

Yes. The video card. That's a very high resolution for what is a relatively old video card probably designed and optimised for much lower resolutions.

I'm on a Nehalem MacPro with 8 gigs of RAM and an ATI 4870 512 card. This program is unquestionably slower than 12.5 / 2008. I don't know what magic some people are experiencing but what felt like a responsive dancer has become a couch potato ("But look at all the channels I have at my disposal!")

I also tried it on XP Sp3 32 on 2.4ghz Quadcore and it's even slower.

This program needs a ground-up remake of this so-called graphics engine. And the new snaps seem to get in the way more than they help. AutoCAD is now running speed circles around this program...

Could the HARDWARE ACCELERATION OPTION in preferences have anything to do with this. I posted a question regarding this option a few weeks ago but received no comments.

I presently use VW12 and am updating to VW2009 soon. When this option is enabled, which, by the way is always on in VW2009, zooming and panning become jerky and crashes occur now and then.

VW's runs much smoother with this option turned off.

So, a question for all of you computer savey users, what exactly does hardware acceleration do and why does it cause crashes?

• 2 weeks later...

I,ve upgraded to VW's 2009 and all I can say is WOW! No problems at all so far. Many improvements I can really use and the rendering is fast.

Having used VW's for years, I believe that most problems can be traced to the video card and it's driver. Spend the money and make sure the video card, processor and operating system are compatible with lots of memory.

Win XP Pro

Intel Core 2 Quad

Asus P5Q-E Motherboard

4 GB DDR2 RAM

ATI Sapphire 4850x2 Video Card 2GB

Galaxy 1000W Power Supply

I'm having exactly the exact same problems folks are describing here.

Here's what I'm working with:

Windows Vista 64 bit

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo P45 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz

Asus Radeon HD 4850 512MB (latest drivers: 8.60)

Corsair Dominator 4GB

VW Service Pack 4

Quicktime 7.5

The redraw on VW 2009 is somehow incredibly slow. If I select an object I can literally count from 1 to 4:

1 The object highlights (well after I click on it)

2 The attributes toolbar is updated

3 The object info toolbar is updated

4 A red box is drawn where I click

I haven't experienced this with VW in the past so I'm a little baffled about how to proceed. I'm not seeing anyone propose a solution here, but the only guy who seems to be getting any love from 2009 is Peter. Should I upgrade or change out video card? Maybe it's ASUS drivers/graphics utilities.