VW 2009 Slow

Rick

Ik just installed Vectorworks Fundamentals 2009.

Im running a 2.333 intel core 2 duo and MacOSX 10.5.5.

Drawing and snapping is incredibilly slow. I'm experimenting

with the settings but that doesn't seem to help.

Does everybody have this slow and lazy feeling wile drawing?

It's very annoying!!! Or is there someone out there with a cure?....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched from 9.5.3 all the way to VW 2009 last week! I didn't "want" to but I had to

because of leopard.... I skipped all versions from 10 to 12.5 because they didn't

have anything intresting to offer (for me). VW 2008 felt fine while using but when I

ordered it, it just got an upgrade to VW 2009. If you all claim there is no speed

problem between 2008 en 2009 it must be something else. Thanks for your response!

I think I found it! My configuration is quite uncommon. A macbook Pro with a Cinema Display 30".

The video card probably isn't strong enough!! Strange, it did work with VW 2008.

Maybe it's because of all the screen hints and selection animations....

This is a great excuse to buy the new Macbook Pro....

• 1 month later...

VW 14 with the current (first or second upgrade) is slow for me too.

Sloooow. Very very slow. In fact so slow that most of my drawing, especially dimensioning does not work at all. I made a funny video where I rapidly draw 6 rects. In 2008 the rects are drawn right off the mouse moves. In 2009, the rects take another 6 seconds to completely draw after the mouse has stopped moving.

I have a Mac Pro Dual Core Xeon with 5 gigs of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card at work. I have a similar but newer and higher spec version of the same thing at home, with a higher spec video card. Something GT, but probably desmo as well. I also run VW 2009 on an Intel Macbook Pro.

The two Mac Pros are running two screens, one 30" and the other 23". It appears to be the screen size that causes the problems. VW 14 runs fine on the lapdog, and fine on the Mac Pro when only the 23" screen is attached. Change to the 30" screen and things go slow as glue again.

Start without extensions etc in safe mode and things are even slower... so never mind about that.

The point is, VW 13 (AKA 2008) is perfectly fast. It is only VW 14 which is unuseably slow. And I mean seriously unuseably slow.

There's another post somewhere about speed where Sean F claims users enjoy a certain lag. For me, it is just like using a phone with a delay. The feedback circuits go wrong, and you can't talk. Hanging up is the only option. Which is what I am thinking of doing with 2009.

Is this delay or slow speed a problem for others still, or is it something unusual about my configuration?

DMcD

Mac Pro 2.66 Xeon stuff

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Desmo

30" and 23" Cinema displays.

Mouse and keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this 2009 in general to be very slow in many respects. I'm on Window XP, selection of fonts for example takes 'forever'. And viewports drag when working on them. I wonder if any of the slowness has to do with the selection and preselection colorization nonsense they've added. I turned all that off and found it performs significantly better.

I'm upgrading from 12.5, and it was way faster in graphic response time than compared to 2009.

I should mention i've been a continuous user since version 8. so i've got about 10 solid years of working with VW. and double that on CAD in general.

Anything you do is slower... I have oodles and oodles of memory, super duper fast graphics cards etc. and when i upgraded it's just way slooower in general user interface response time than 12.5, way slower. that's all.

Edited by AnthonyMC
I found this 2009 in general to be very slow in many respects. I'm on Window XP, selection of fonts for example takes 'forever'. And viewports drag when working on them. I wonder if any of the slowness has to do with the selection and preselection colorization nonsense they've added. I turned all that off and found it performs significantly better.

I'm upgrading from 12.5, and it was way faster in graphic response time than compared to 2009.

I should mention i've been a continuous user since version 8. so i've got about 10 solid years of working with VW. and double that on CAD in general.

Anything you do is slower... I have oodles and oodles of memory, super duper fast graphics cards etc. and when i upgraded it's just way slooower in general user interface response time than 12.5, way slower. that's all.

Ditto, almost exactly my experience as well.

I've turned off most of the cuttlefish-in-heat flashing wiz-bangs, which helped ordinary drawing. But working within and around large-project viewports is quite painful.

I installed 2009 sp2 on my computer last week. Windows XP, Pentium 4, 3 ghz, with 2 gig ram, 26" monitor set at 1600 x 1200, with Nvida GeForce Fx 5200 video card with 128 mb ddr onboard memeory and it runs like a dog. I just upgraded the memory to 4 gig as per the recommendations for minimum system requirements and it DOES run better. I refuse to run a lesser screen resolution because, what's the point? I want more screen area. I just reviewed the recommended hardware info on the the Knowledge Base website:

http://kbase.nemetschek.net/index.php?ToDo=view&questId=169&catId=23

It shows that my Nvida GeForce FX card is NOT recommended so I will be upgrading that portion of my computer tomorrow to a Nvidia Quadro FX card. That should finally bring my speed back up to an acceptable level.

I suppose the more complex software get, the more robust our computers must be to keep up. 4Gigs of RAM is alot to ask for when all you are after is a simple 2D vector based drafting tool. I could understand that for the 3D modeling and rendering portion, but my experience with 2009 thus far is that the graphical user interface is the issue.

one solution I found was to turn off all those selection and preselection color coding stuff. I do move around the drawing faster now.

If I were to guess, I would say that Nemetsheck has some tweaking to do with their graphic redraw engine. I remember this exact issue with AutoCAD around R13. It took a lot of hot under the color customers voicing their complaints for Autodesk to rev up the graphic engine. I think Nmemtschek needs to do the same here.

Other areas slow are large viewports, bringing up the worksheet edit window and selecting fonts. I have a large number of fonts on my system, and I work with Adobe products, Quark, MS products, AutoCAD and others, and don't have the lag I have with 2009.

Hopefully they are listening and will tweak the user interface portion of the graphics engine.

Sure, we have a couple of systems running, one has 4 gigs memory, 512 nVidia graphics card on Windows XP SP3, the other 2 gigs memory, 256 nVidia graphics card on Windows XP SP3.

The point of posting is not to complain, sorry if it came across that way, but to hopefully address to the development team that I believe there is a user interface speed problem within the graphics engine, and that hopefully it would get addressed in the next update.

Anthony

I upgraded the graphics card from a Nvidia Geforce Fx 5200 with 128 mb to a Nvida Geforce 6200 with 512mb. I also upgraded the RAM from 2 gig to 4 gig, but I've heard that won't help much because Windows XP can't use more than 2 gig for applications. In any case, the video card improvement is what helped the most. I don't have slow cursor during drafting anymore.

But I do think they are still tweaking the drafting engine and some other things. Looking forward to SP3.

Yeah. But I only bought it about 1 year ago. OOPS, I just checked my accounting program and I actually bought it in 2004. I can't beleive it's already 5 years old. It was hard enough dropping $9000 on a copier/plotter this month, especially with this economy. But the new computer is my priority for April. But thanks for the polite urging.

• 1 month later...

Hello All :

I am experiencing the same or similar issues as the OP. It's like working in year 1995 CAD!

Having upgraded from VW 12 I have turned off all of the bells and whistles with the screen hints, highlighting, animation, etc. Basically the drawing window drops out (either goes white or goes gray with the drawing missing completely) and kind of flashes as I go to grab a new tool or after it completes some commands. There is a half-second or so lag before the drawing reappears. It very much reminds me of early CAD system's slow screen regeneration, but this happens several times within the course of a minute - it just seems like it can't keep up! It makes work very difficult and I'm left with no other option as I am running Leopard.

I am running VW 2009 SP2 (Build 99197) on a MacPro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 10GB of 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM on OS 10.5.6 and using a 30" Cinema Display with the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card at 2560x1600 32-bit color resolution. I checked the link above for an update on this card driver and my system tells me that it is not necessary for this computer, and I have updated all other software as far as I can tell.

Also I have read the System Requirements that VW publishes on their site. The info there is not very specific, but it seems to indicate the combination of a 30" display and (which?) graphic card can cause users to be "dissatisfied" with the performance. But it also says that this combo would need to include older generation processors and video cards which I don't think mine are, but VW needs to clarify what "older generation" is.

So I am at a loss. Is there anyone out there with a work-around or info on upgrading to a video card that will work with this configuration? Or even better - VECTORWORKS TELL US HOW TO RESOLVE!! We need help to figure what to do with our systems...

Thanks for your time.