rendering of mirrored "Extrude along path" objects appear inside out

SLFY

Has anyone else had this happen.

Every time I mirror an "extrude along path" object, the object renders as if it is a shell and inside out. Or maybe its the texture itself that is inside out? I dunno.

I have been getting around this by doing a lot of copying and rotating. However, on this project I needed an applied molding to fit an arched panel.

The extrude along path tool works beautifully to create the molding, however, I have been baffled as to how the tool determines which is to be the inside edge of the object profile. Normally this means a trial run and then flipping the object if nec and re-extruding. However, for this arch, I could only get it to extrude one side of the arch correctly, so I was left to mirror the opposite side. This creates the correct object in a hidden line rendering. However, when rendering it with a texture, it appears to be inside out. I have even tried to map the texture to the object, with no luck. And yes, the object's properties include a solid fill.

Please see attached images to help explain.

Any ideas?

Edited by SLFY

I can't replicate the odd behavior you describe, though I am on a different OS.

Have you tried the operation in a blank file?

Do you want to post file, others can take a look?

The extrude along path tool works beautifully to create the molding, however, I have been baffled as to how the tool determines which is to be the inside edge of the object profile. Normally this means a trial run and then flipping the object if nec and re-extruding.

Unfortunately, so far as I know, we are all baffled by this one... :crazy: ....and your workflow is standard.

Another option with repeated Ext Along Paths is to create duplicates/mirrors/etc. and replace Paths with new ones required, being sure whatever 2D operation created the Path has been converted to NURBS and oriented correctly to ground plane.

That way at least the Profile is at the correct insertion...but still not so efficient.

Edited by Gytis

Wow. Thanks Ray. I hadn't considered making it a symbol first. This is a much better fix, as it also retains the editable history of the object, which I loose when I convert to NURBS.

Gytis - Ray is on a Vista Machine also. It is a consistent problem for me, and if you can't recreate it on your Mac, I'm going to assume it is a windows (or win version) thing. I think there are a few of those.

I notice you show interiorCAD in your signature. I am dying to know how well it works. I have tried several times over the last several years, but I can't get so much as an email response from the company. I am now programing a CNC for a cabinet shop in addition to shop drawings and renderings. If you'd be so kind as to answer a couple questions, I'd appreciate it. The main question is - does it help automate the 3D cabinet and cabinet door creation process?

Thanks for the help.

Sean

Edited by SLFY