Label Legend Trauma

CYun

I'm experiencing very weird issues with the label legend manager. When I get into "edit info" in the Light Data Record and then exit that mode, the selected symbol will no longer display the associated data even though it still appears in the Light Data Record. While the data is no longer visible, the container does remain though it relocates to the center of the symbol. I have double-checked the label and it doesn't reflect what is occuring (ie - the containered field in NOT in the center of the symbol).

I have tried restarting VW, restarting the computer and VW, and rebuilding the label legend from scratch and reassigning it to the symbol, still can't get it to display any info in the drawing despite showing up in the record. This file probably originated on a MAC running VW2008 but I'm currently working on a Dell Latitude D800 running VW2008 Spotlight SP2.

--CY

VW2008 Spotlight SP2

Dell Latitude D800

Intel Centrino 2.10GHz, 2.00Gb

Windows XP SP3

hello CY;

as i read your note i'm a bit confused by your nomenclature. when you say you're in the 'edit info' window of the light data record, do you mean that you are first selecting the label legend manager, and then choosing to 'edit layout'? or are you editing the 'light info record' in the resource browser?

i **think** you're saying the first, that you're editing layout within the label legend manager. right?

in which case, if my assumpting is correct: the lack of displayed data--i would first check the "label" classes. it sounds like most/all of them have been turned off somehow. which would in turn make all your applicable labels invisible.

second, it sounds like the generic symbol that you're seeing in the 'edit layout' window, or the actual symbol you've attached the label to, has either had it's class turned off, or the symbol has somehow been deleted from the resource browser.

hth,

shelley

Sorry, you are right, my description is confusing.

In my drawing I have multiple symbols converted to instruments and assigned to one of three labels from the label legend manager. All three labels contain only two fields: channel# with a container, and unit# without container. The only difference between the labels are font size and type of container. Currently, if I open the drawing without making any changes, I see the appropriate channel# and unit# text displayed in the drawing (viewing in top/plan mode).

If I click on an instrument and view its information via object info palette, I see the corresponding data (channel# and unit#) in the record. If I click the "edit" button in the object info palette, I get a pop-up window where I can edit the properties of that instrument. Whether I edit the info or hit the cancel button to exit that window, the selected symbol no longer displays the channel# or unit# in the drawing. Also the container for the channel#, which was previously below the instrument, relocates to the center of the lighting symbol. But if I look at the object info palette, the channel# and unit# data still appear in the palette.

As an experiment, I did a refresh instruments and every single instrument refreshed the same way, no displayed channel# or unit# text in the drawing and all containers (for all three labels) relocate to center of symbol.

I did check the label classes, all were visible.

But I am interested to know more about the symbol choice in the label legend manager. If the symbol used in the label legend manager was accidentally purged from the resource browser, I might have label issues? What if a custom container was accidentally purged from the resource browser, similar result? Perhaps that is what occurred...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try creating a Label Legend from scratch. When you edit the layout make sure everything looks right. Make sure the labels are inside of the lareg rectangle, that the bounding box of the symbol does not appeat too large etc.

You can also try creating the LL in a new blank document and importing it into your document.

Also, make sure you are using "Assign legend to instrument", it resets some of thestored info.

Only other thing to check is that your origin is somewhere reasonable.

Hi ceester;

when Kevin says to "check that your origin is somewhere reasonable", what i **think** he means is to edit your symbol (activate symbol in RB, select edit, select 2d component) and check that what you think is the middle of the symbol actually ends up at the proper X zero and Y zero point on the ruler.

right kevin?

shelley