Renderworks related upgrade advice

HP Sauce

Currently our render station is taking far too long to do its job, so I'm hoping someone can estimate the speed improvements between the machines listed below or indeed suggest alternatives. Our 3D models generally weigh in at around 50-100mb, and are usually set up as a high-spec Custom Quality Renderworks with HDRI.

Current spec:-

VW2009, 32bit XP SP3

Single Core 2 Duo at 2.33ghz

4gb low speed ram

128mb Radeon x1550

Intended spec:-

VW2009, OSX 10.5

Two Quad Core Xeons at 2.8ghz

4gb 800mhz ddr2

512mb GeForce 8800 (or Quadro FX type card if difference is worth the money)

If anyone can estimate just how long will be cut off our render time from switching I'd appreciate it.

I have the same frustration and glad I have not yet upgraded to 2009 as (I still need to shop around for a better Render program.

I have had many suggestions from the ppl on here. nl. Artlantis, Strata3D, 4DCinema, ESP Vision etc. I still have to gain access to one of these programs demo as I,ve had endless problems from IT to see and compare.

See some of the threads on here......

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello highpass:

Raytracing in Renderworks responds well to adding more cores. If you are talking about going from 2 cores to 8 cores I would expect raytracing of HDRIs to get between 3 and 4 times faster. With processors of the same clock speed adding more cores doesn't quite reach an exact 4x speedup because the threads need to managed, but in general raytracing in RW scales well with the number of cores. If the new processors have a clock speed bump then that may mitigate the thread management processing.

I recently tested the number of cores versus render time for a raytraced HDRI scene and it shows a consistent progression in render speed (for 1, 2, 4, 8 cores).