Printing 3d model---impossible?

kgroob

I have a 24 mb size 3d renderworks file that I can't print. It doesn't do me much good to make this detailed model if I can't print it. I tried reducing the resolution to 72 dpi, changing 3d conversion to medium, rendering in open GL, and that didn't work. Then I tried printing to a PDF first, and that didn't work. Then I tried rendering a portion of the model as a bitmap in Open GL at 72 dpi, and that didn't work. Finally I had to resort to a screen shot, which worked.

The model uses extrudes, extrude along paths, sweeps, and symbols.

My Mac has 1 GB of memory, which I'm guessing is not enough. How much memory is needed on the computer and/or plotter in order to print a file like mine? Is it as simple as buying more memory and plopping it into the hard drive?

Edited by kriegs

My Mac has 1 GB of memory, which I'm guessing is not enough. How much memory is needed on the computer and/or plotter in order to print a file like mine? Is it as simple as buying more memory and plopping it into the hard drive?

It depends on your Mac - it may have room for an additional module(s) or you may be able to replace your existing module with say a 2GB. But they plug into slots inside the machine, they have nothing to do with the hard drive. Perhaps you should check with your Mac supplier to see what can be done with your particular Mac - it may be that the cost to upgrade makes a new machine feasible.

When you upgrade beyond VW11.5, you will need more memory (at least 2GB, 4GB better), especially for high end renders like your gorgeous illustration.

My Mac has 1 GB of memory, which I'm guessing is not enough. How much memory is needed on the computer and/or plotter in order to print a file like mine?

You dont say what computer you are using.

If you save it as a pdf, which is how macs print anyway, might be the route forward.

You will then have a file that does not need rendering prior to printing.

I was producing stage sets on VW11.5 I was rendering and animating 40mx30m stages with 1000seats on a g4 powerbook with 1g of ram if I remember correctly.

Try some Mac maintenance - my apologies if you already know these .......

1. Restart (I guess you've done that).

2. Run Utilities>Disk Utility>Repair Disk Permissions.

3. Leave your Mac on overnight, or download a program called MacJanitor and run it weekly.

4. Buy a program called DiskWarrior and run it weekly.

HTH.