AutoCAD/DWG files

PowerPC

When you import an AutoCAD or DWG file into VW does VW keep the 3D data? The reason I ask is because I am using VW12.5 and got the plans for the space I am supposed to be working in from the architects which were in DWG format ... that's fine except when I go to create a section view and every thing that was imported was all 2D.

I have never used AutoCAD before and fortunately (in my short time) all the files that I have received from designer and other folks have all been VW files or I have created the plan from scratch. However I have to assume that the plans were created with corresponding 3D information as they supplied a "section" view with the files I received.

I really don't want to have to trace the plan as I would rather not waste time on it. Is there any why I can get the 3D information (if any) from the DWG file or can I merge the section view that they supplied with my section view from VW?

Thank in advance for the help

Many people use AutoCAD to just be an electronic drafting board. They use the 2D tools to draw the plan and elevations/section separately.

If the original users did not create a 3D model, there is no 3D to import. About the only things you can do is either work in 2D also, or create your own 3D model based on the AutoCAD 2D information.

Pat

Agreed, VW does import the 3d data from dwg/dxf files. If you're not getting any 3d info from your import, there was no 3d in the original drawing ( as long as your import prefs are set to convert to 2d and 3d- which is...in 12.5...the default.)

"However I have to assume that the plans were created with corresponding 3D information as they supplied a "section" view with the files I received"

Not necessarily, as was said, a lot of draftsmen use AC like a virtual drafting board. All architectural drawings will have section views. I've noticed that there are very few "as built"docs that have a need for a 3d view except for a concept rendering which would not be needed in the as builts.

"I really don't want to have to trace the plan as I would rather not waste time on it."

If there's no 3d info, and you want a 3d space, you'll have to build it yourself. Either that, or do without. Reach out for the architects and ask them if they have the dwg in 3d. I agree that building the 3d model from a 2d plan is a huge PITA, but if there's not one, and you need one.....

Thanks folks,

It turns out that there was no 3D information (I imagine) because when I told VW to import both 2D & 3D information it returned only 2D information. Oh well, guess I will have to create it from scratch. Thanks ... just curious, is there anyway to use or combine there section view with mine? Or to drop my instruments in their section view in either an Isometric view or Section view?

Thanks.