Ability to open old minicad / vectorworks files

calsan

Question

Select old minicad / OS9 vectorworks file in finder. Double click to open in Vectorworks. End of process.

(Why no backwards compatibility? We are loyal minicad users with 300,000+ old minicad and vectorworks files and we can't open them in vectorworks 2008. If we'd used autocad [shock!] all that time, we wouldn't be having this problem now...)

16 answers to this question

i think you will find most Proffesional packages look after their customers investment.

i too have 1,000s of old MiniCAD files i'd like to be able to open with more recent versions of VW.

No such luck.

If nothing else NNA, you should take the trouble to create a "Working" Plug-in for this instance. Downlaodable and constantly updated/retro aware to reward users for their trust and confidence in sticking with a product.

300,000??? That's a lot of patience, Cal.

Finished converting files. "Only" took 3 weeks! :sleep:

I installed system 9, minicad 5, vectorworks 8, vectorworks 12.5 on an old machine.

My tips from this experience: vectorworks 2008 is unstable. In order to batch convert vectorworks 8 files to current version, you need to batch convert them using vectorworks 12 first. Then batch convert in vectorworks 2008 will run smoothly.

Make sure your files all have the relevant .mcd or .vwx file extension, or you will never be able to find them all. Mac operating system has the habit of losing the resource fork of files so without the file extension, you will be left guessing whether you are looking at a cad file or not.

3 Weeks????

You've Really been having some fun, haven't you?

Cal, you say 2008 is unstable, but in the trial version of VW2009 i have, although it opens my 11.5 files, many of the 3D objects just appear as boxes. No shape or detail. i have been informed by the PTB that in the actual release this has been cured, but i have yet to confirm this personaly.

As for the "Extensions" dilemma. switch from list to icon view in the window. That should be a good clue to what you're looking at. :)

Or does that turn to smoke too when you loose the resource fork?

Edited by AndiACD

Resource fork problem really sucks. I think its happening because the operating system OSX is really UNIX with a pretty mac interface. Mac OS died with system 9, as did the apple file system. The way OSX lets you have files without extensions is a kludge that works sometimes and sometimes doesn't.

The old files appear in the finder as 'Unix Executable File" with a little icon that looks like a black screen with a command line. If you know what the file is, then you can add the file extension manually, and the file will magically turn into the correct file type complete with icon.

On 24/10/2008 at 7:23 AM, calsan said:

300,000 because 20 years work. Quickly adds up because with enough staff and everyone saving a copy of each revision of each drawing. Not to mention claris cad files we can't open anymore but could in minicad 4.

Hi Calsan,

I have 7 files that I need converting, could you let me know if I can ask the favour or pay your company or your favourite charity -Its really frustrating that there is no viewer or translator..and if Autocad no probs!

much obliged,

AudreyK

BI:1st Floor.mcd

BI:200:50:51A:52:01:12.mcd

BI:Basemt,Grd Exist:Prop Trees.mcd

BI:Front Elevation.mcd

BI:Rear Section.mcd

BI:Site (longitudinal) Section.mcd

BI:Stair shedule200:50:51A:52.mcd