extrude along path offset

mmyoung

Question

Having the ability to select the point from which a profile is extruded (rather than always extruding from the center) would give us the opportunity to but a "bead" around solid objects by extruding along a contour, very very useful.

This would add one step to the extrude procedure, so maybe it would be an option. You would select the profile(s) and the path, then choose the point from which the extrude would originate.

Edited by mmyoung

6 answers to this question

I dunno....I think I have to agree with Pat here. For me, Extrude Along Path works consistently and as expected, with the one sore point of having the profile center being the default for the path. Though it IS an added step, the level of control relative to 0,0 and profile elements is excellent, IMHO.

Snap Loupe and improved cursor in 2009 has made it even better.

Thanks Pat! That's working out really nicely for us.

The way we control the tilting and banking of an extrude, in order to extrude a fancy profile into a railing or trim, is to make a loft of many carefully placed profiles. Wouldn't it be good if you could specify that the profile maintained its orientation, so for example the "top" of the profile would remain normal to the Z axis, or something like that. Would save hours.