Quicktime substitute

Is there a way to get VW to output 3D panoramas or animated movies without using Quicktime ? Is there a way to output a panorama in QT then translate it to another format ?

(I know you're thinking ... why ? The reason is my fair City IT department will not allow users admin rights, and they can't download QT to their computer. Every time I make a cool 3D panorama or movie and send it to the user, they can't open my files. Of course, my IT dept won't allow QT as a standard application for all computers. )

I think we'd need some additional info from you: What video formats are your end users able to view if they're not allowed to install QT? (I assume that means they also cannot see Flash movies, since that would also require software installation. Since you don't have your OS info listed in your signature, I am assuming you're on Windows as are your end users. Otherwise they'd already have QT installed).

If you are intending to create an interactive 3d panorama like a QTVR, then I believe you're limited to QT.

But if you're wanting to just make a movie (non-interactive) then as Mar suggests you can use QT Pro or you can output a QT movie from VW and convert it to another format with this freeware application MPEG Streamclip

You can use MPEG Streamclip to: open and play most movie formats including MPEG files or transport streams; edit them with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Trim; set In/Out points and convert them into muxed or demuxed files, or export them to QuickTime, AVI, DV and MPEG-4 files with more than professional quality, so you can easily import them in a DVD authoring tool, and use them with many other applications or devices.

MPEG Streamclip lets you play and edit QuickTime, DV, AVI, MPEG-4, MPEG-1; MPEG-2 or VOB files or transport streams with MPEG, PCM, or AC3 audio (MPEG-2 playback component required); DivX (with DivX 6) and WMV (with Flip4Mac WMV Player). MPEG Streamclip can export all these formats to QuickTime, DV/DV50, AVI/DivX and MPEG-4 with high quality encoding and even uncompressed or HD video.

Thanks for the help ... but my basic problem is that our IT dept has a stranglehold on adding any extra programs to our -PC centric world. Each user has no control over loading more applications on his/her PC. Thus, I need to convert (or export) my QT panoramas (made in VW 2008 with Windows XP Pro) into a format that anyone who has XP Pro can open. I'm looking for programs that everyone else will have .... I think our standard City instalation includes Flash player .... is there a way to get a QT panorama (or movie) into flash player format ?

(I'll try the MPEG stramclip mentioned above .... I am among the few who can load new programs without contacting our IT dept.)

Ray: I followed your link to the QT Pro export formats, but I'm still lost. I don't see format "WMF" and as far as I can tell the other formats are still image formats. I need a panorama and movie format. I also believe that if I export a VW animation movie as an MPEG-4 codec, (or others) the file still retains the QT extension and therefore PC users without QT still can't open it.

Please enlighten me .....

rDesign: thanks for the link ..... it looks like these might work for panoramas .... however, I tried the Bixorama, and during the installation, it said I have to download Direct X to make it work. Now I'm back to the same problem .... my IT department would have to individually go to everyone's computer and download DirectX since it apparently is not part of our standard City application package. Once again, I'm thwarted by my "big brother" IT department who knows what is best for me and everyone else. I am so frustrated .... even though I have adminsitrative priviledges and can download this stuff, no one else does ..... so I still can't show off how VW works for me. But, alas, this is my problem .... thanks for showing me one possible solution.