AutoCAD to Vectorworks switch

nlBabcock

I have recently switched from AutoCAD to Vectorworks on a Mac. I am wondering how to do many things faster, but a few of the items that I seem to have used a lot in AutoCAD that I can not figure out how to do quickly in Vectorworks are:

- AutoCAD stretch command. I could highlight a bunch of items click the stretch icon and then "stretch" them to where I needed them to go.

- AutoCAD trim command.

- AutoCAD extend command.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to VW!

Stretch works in VW by highlighting the items, and push/pull using the 2D selection tool. I group several items sometimes- its good for equal spacing between fixed points.

Trim can be done using the trim tool in the basic toll palette. I also draw a line over the item to be trimmed and do a command-T.

Same goes for extend, its in the basic tool palette. The tutorial are good for this basic stuff. Hope this helps.

I believe VW is set to "not stretch" by default.

To make it work you first need to go to the upper left corner where you can choose between "no stretch", "stretch single object" or " stretch multiple objects".

It's the check box with oblique arrow lines.

As Ray says, look at the 2D reshape tool, combined with the modify/move tool too. It's very useful. The tool looks like a polygone stretched by a hand.

Having fairly recently made the same switch myself, I'd advise you to take a fresh look at your (2D) drafting technique -- if you take the same approach to generating drawing geometry in VW that you used in AutoCAD you definitely won't be using VW to its full advantage.

Two main points in this vein: don't draw using individual lines, use objects instead and make ample use of add/clip/intersect surface; also, take advantage of VW's ability (much better than AutoCAD's) to have objects in the foreground hide objects in the background -- for example, windows can be drawn right over a siding hatch since they can cover it, rather than having to hatch around them...