My 3 Wishes!

Wyle C

Question

1. I wish VW could Auto dimension "all" exterior walls with a click of the mouse!

2. I wish VW could Auto join walls (and they stay joined at my pleasure. At least the option to do so.) with a click of the mouse.

3. I wish VW could click the mouse on a wall and a pop up dimension would show the distance between 2 parallel walls and then the ability to drag the wall to the desired distance by reading the change in the dimension as the wall moves.

I have had other CAD programs that do all of these and it saves me quite a bit of time. Don't misunderstand, I love my VW program, I only have 3 wishes for now!

6 answers to this question

Since the auto join isn't even close to working 100% of the time, I would like resend my 3 wishes and add another wish. The ability to click & drag a wall and the dimensions change with it in real time is such a time saver. draw your walls, AEC and the dimensions, move the walls to your desired dimensions and boom, your done. Instead of spending time dicking around getting it the way you want by having to click all this unnecessary clicking, tabbing,typing, and (rejoining walls because the auto wall join doesn't work all the time, I want those suckers glued with Liquid Nails unless I choose to unglue them!)

The added wish is: After the discussion on spreadsheets with the great help from Pat, Jeffrey, and all involved. The "Resource Browser" would truly be a resource browser if you could create folders in all sections for report templates, symbols, etc so that when you create a new file those resources are already there. Just like the View Names, Layer Names and Class Names Std are there when you create a new file you could have your own personal browser for the way you work and the way your business operates instead of creating a new file and adding it to your Favorites.

Of course my wishes are from the perspective of my mind, my business and experiences with CAD programs. It just seems to me to be a no brainer as far as efficiency in work flow.

WyleC, what you are looking for is (I think) a TEMPLATE. That's the way to get all the things you use all the time into a file at its start. Creating a template file is simple. Just set up a file (any file - even an existing one, perhaps with project-specific data removed) and use the SAVE AS TEMPLATE command. Then, whenever you open a new file you can choose your template as the starting point...

Thanks Peter,

I do use a Template. If I understand this correctly, I open a new file or project and click Document settings and go through each command and save as a "template" (By the way, when clicking "document settings" It would be much more efficient if when you click document settings to have a dialog box open with each command on tabs instead of every time having to click file-document settings- document preferences, back to file, document settings-Units, back to file-document settings-document setup, etc.).

I have a template I use that is Arch-D with units as 1/4=1ft and a border and title block. I have never changed anything in the "Create Standard Viewports" section. My point was when ever you open a new file the files ClassNames, LayerNames, ViewNames are always there in the worksheet section. I would like to create my own report templates and symbols in a "My Symbols" folder and those resources would show up the same way as the ClassNames, etc. and as I understand it the only way to accomplish this is to have those reports in a file and add that file to "Your Favorites"

As far as the walls are concerned, after using the wall join tool and you move a wall it becomes unjoined and you have to rejoin which is time consuming. If you could simply click & drag a wall and watch the dimension change with it and it would stay joined would be a real time saver....for me anyway. I have my walls on "Auto-Join" and the dimensions on "Auto-Associate" and "Associate Dimensions". Unless I am not using Vectorworks properly those commands do not work or they are not interactive. I realize that if a wall is join it is suppose to heal itself as the tutorial shows, but they don't. As I mentioned , I like VWs for the detail and residential and commercial flexibility of materials involved in those two respective places of the construction industry. I have used other programs that have the capabilities of moving walls in the manner I have mentioned. As I stated, It could be I am not using VWs correctly either and I am always searching the tutorials and help files and NNA website for answers so that VWs behaves as I believe it suppose to. I was informed that the learning curve was a little longer for VWs ;-)

Edited by Wyle C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Wyle C,

If you don't want the wall to unjoin when dragging, make sure that you have the Connected Wall Mode turned on ? It is the last mode button for the cursor tool.

Are you saying that dimensions associated to a wall don't change when the wall changes ?

Thanks,

Hugues

NNA

Hugues, Thank you,

Yes I use the AEC-> Dimension walls command. I also knew about the connect walls button, but had forgotten about it, I called the tech and she reminded me. However, Using the cursor to move a wall works, but the dimension box isn't changing with it and I am not quite use to reading the offset in the cursor bar. So I need to get use to that. I like using the arrow keys and when I zoom the page enough, the wall will move 1/8" per click, however using the arrow keys un-joins the walls even in the connected walls mode. Also, is there a trick that I am missing when I tab into the data field? When I tab I have to keep the left mouse button down or the text box disappears. So I am typing with one hand and holding a button with the other.....Still pulling Gs on the learning curve!

Thanks.

Terry