"Custom Selection": Objects in symbols

team

Hello from a newbie (in forum not Vw)!

My Problem is, that the button "symbols" in Custom selection doesn't seem to have any effect.

The number of objects shown under the button includes the objects in symbols, but selected ist (of course) only the objects that are not in symbols and groups.

(I tried to select objects with the same lineweight, to change it)

So, what is the button for?

Or is there a trick to get it work right with symbols?

Thanks

"team"

I hope you understand my "English"!

Try using Custom Modification instead of Custom Selection.

The Symbol button allows you to access objects that are contained inside symbols in addition to objects that are not in symbols.

The custom selection has the same limitations as if you were doing it manually. You will not be able to change objects that are on layers in a different view, or a different scale, or in a group, or in a symbol etc.

Custom modification does not have that limitation and will change objects that are not currently "modifiable" because of the above limitations.

Pat

Hi Pat,

thank you for the fast answer.

I want to modify objects in symbols and in "Custom Modification",

I cannot mark a symbol-button, only groups and viewports.

The button allows access to objects in symbols but the program cannot select it? Thats like building a door without opening the wall.

Thanks anyway, so is there a possibility to change attributes of objects in symbols (e.g. with scripts)

mika

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi team,

Custom Selection selects the objects but doesn't change the active layer to make them visible.

If you want to do a cross document selection using Custom Selection, you'll get the best feedback if all layers are visible and the options Show/Snap/Modify Others is set.

Objects in symbols will also be selected but you'll have to enter the symbol to edit it.

Hugues

NNA