Can VW 2009 Import an ACAD Helical Sweep?

dovermyer

Question

Hi folks,

I created a curved staircase in AutoCAD with regular solids. The stringers & handrails are sweeps along helices. When I try to open the file (as either dxf or dwg) in VW, it loads the treads & other simple solids, but it seems to completely ignore the objects swept along a helix.

I'm using AutoCAD Architecture 2009 SP1 & VectorWorks Fundamentals 2008 SP3.

I even tried to explode the helical objects into surfaces, but that didn't work either. I just need to import it so my colleague can include the staircase in his VW pretty-picture.

Thanks in advance!

**Reposted into appropriate forum...after I noticed there was an appropriate forum**

5 answers to this question

Now, I am not an ADT user, but.... Especially when sharing with 'regular' AutoCAd ussrs, is the not a option to export or save as "plain autocad' (No, I'm sure that is not the correct phrase/function). Such an export is normall used when Autpdesk object enableres are not available.

This may help in the case of Architectural Objects

Jim

The objects are just vanilla AutoCAD objects. The sales rep talked my boss into paying for the Architectural stuff...which I avoid like the plague. I don't draw 6-panel doors or stud walls. I design modular, multi-level exhibit structures using regular solids...hoping for a seat of Inventor soon :P