VW12.5 and 2009

I have been using VW v12.5 w/RW and am still in learning stage. My company just upgraded to v2009.

Question: I now have v2009 at work but do not have permission to put on home PC...also no official training. I understand that v2009 does not have training manuals and I have to rely on the on-line tutorial. (So I have been told my management at my co.)

Personally I have a problem w on-line and like to have a manual in front of me.

Considering I already have v12.5 on my home PC and also have training manuals and CD's for v12.5 is there any sense in training at home on v12.5. Are the basics the same? (VW Fundamentals w/RW)

It seems my only other option would be to personally purchase v2009 which is not feasible right now.

Don't even think of telling me to get training. The last time I asked my boss I was told that it would be a personal expense to improve my "personal" talents.....LOL

I would say the base is identical. You will have to go into details to see the differences. No dramatic change anywhere.

One of the main improvements in 2008 is the possibility to use viewports in design layers.

Also there is a new pdf batch export - reliable too, but still needs improvement.

The dwg batch export is not always reliable though.

Rendering speed has improved too, both in 2008 and 2009.

Other than that - can't remember any revolutionary features. Many possible bugs though with walls, windows and doors - the basic tools if architecture is your field.

Training on 12.5 is a very good idea.

If you have Fundamentals, the biggest issues will be if your office is using features from one of the design series products.

I've just gone through the manuals looking at 12/2008 differences and many of the major improvements, such as plan rotation, design layer viewports and more sophisticated use of reference workgroup files etc don't relate to fundamentals as they were design series specific.

The fundamental concepts will remain largely the same so I think you would get a very good grasp of VW concepts with the earlier version.

Screen and tools/menu layouts may differ depending on your workspace settings, but you may be able to tailor the workspace settings to make them more consistent across generations.