Can groundcover areas be linked to plant list worksheets?

Doug L

Can groundcover (hatched polygon areas) be linked to plant list worksheets? Otherwise, the plant doesn't show up in the worksheet because the groundcover plant was not inserted as a symbol. The result is that I have to type the plant data manually in the plant list worksheet. If the answer is yes, is there a way to automatically convert the SF of the polygon's area to number plants? If that could happen, when the polygon area is adjusted, the SF and # of plants would automatically update in the plant list.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Doug, in 2008, you could place plants in a mass planting, either grid, or triangulated, and if you make your groundcover plant chosen say 18", and place them with 12" spacing, it will automatically count them for you and it reports to the plant list. As promised, I will tell you that 2009 has what is called Landscape Area. This tool was designed to handle multiple species plantings in the shapes you provide...you can choose the distribution rate (plant/sf (or metric version also). If you choose to make it just one plant species for the groundcover aspect, you can, or the multi species mode you can show wildflower, perennial, or forestation masses, as well as rain gardens, bio-swales, etc. They report the plants used to the plant list, too. The landscape area can also be used for conceptual "bubble" diagrams, preliminary/proposed land-use plans (development coverage), and they can be used for quanifying areas for turf as well as planting beds for mulch or soil amendments. They can be seen in 2D with the fill/hatch you choose and they can show the texture selected to show on the sitemodel (dtm) as a texture bed. Prices can be assigned and reported to the worksheets, too, so you can use it for budgeting a project by area unit pricing, too.

Thanks Eric! That sounds like a very useful tool in VW2009! For groundcovers, I typically used hatches instead of drawing every plant at 12" or 18" (in AutoCAD) in order to simply the look of the drawing. The ability place the plants for calculation purposes and still apply a hatch will be great feature.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Doug, while you are in 2008, I would highly recommend the place plant (massing) option. If you are already drawing out the area that you would have hatched for the gr. cover, then take that same shape and convert it to a plant (convert objects from polyline). When you do this, make your grouncover plant your current plant, set the defnitions to the the right data (name/size/spacing, etc) I mentioned the 18" spread and 12" spacing, so you would see the symbols overlap. Then with the triangulated massing mode chosen, select the polyline you created for the grouncover planting and choose Modify>Convert Objects from Poly then choose plant in the pull down and delete orginal line. It will automatically form the mass, and in the definitions, and the class visibilities and by checking/unchecking the enable 2D rendering in the object info palette, you can make the mass look just the way you want.