Lag on WinXP

I have 2008 installed on a Win XP Pro SP3 machine. As well as on an OSX laptop.

When I'm working on the XP, I experience a lot of lag/freeze ups when working with files. Even in the beginning of a drawing when it's still small. For example, I select something (anything) and there's a long delay waiting for the object info to display. Or when I copy an object...long delay (waiting to be able to paste).

These lags happen even with the most simple objects (for ex. a small box).

My system is very high end. Lots of fast memory, highend cpu and video card. I've tried reinstalling the program several times. Always the same.

What elements of my system could be causing this? I've tried to tweak/overclock everything. No change.

Fwiw, none of this takes place on the osx install.

Thanks for any help!!

Haven't had the opportunity to do the upgrade yet. Meanwhile...

Anything else it could be? This isn't gradual. I just re-installed, created a new file. Drew a 4'x4'x4' 3d box on the default sheet. Saved. Closed. Re-opened. When I click on the box to view it's object info, about 30 seconds goes by before I can do anything in the program. Very odd.

I notice that it does get worse as I continue to work.

What resource is being used the most that builds the lag? CPU, memory, video mem, etc? Right now "nudging" is impossible. I select an item, click my arrows to nudge a bit, it moves about 30 seconds later. Crazy.