XML

Thom

Question

10 answers to this question

Assume you are referring to ".xml" format which is the LandXML schema. I hope that VW will include import & export of LandXML data like AutoDesk & the developers of software for data collectors. Also VW should look at how polylines are handled by LandXML.

"The LandXML schema facilitates the exchange of data create during the Land Planning, Civil Engineering and Land Survey process. Land development professionals can use LandXML to make the data they create more readily accessible and available to anyone involved with a project. With LandXML, project data is independent of the authoring software, thus overcoming the interoperability problems that have plagued the land development industry. Not only does LandXML provide interoperability between different application software, but also between varying versions of software. As a result, data can be archived and accessed more readily on future projects. Additionally, other web-based tools can be used to view, edit, and report LandXML data. Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) style sheets can be easily created and applied to LandXML data and then run from a project web page. Examples include XSL style sheets that format raw point data into point tables, or format data to match an organization's internal standards, such as legal descriptions for parcel reports. . ."

XML is simply a tagged text format where the syntax/format of the file is defined but tag and its contents of the tags is not.

So being able to import XML could be quite meaningless unless you know the format of the tags.

For example, xHTML (webpages) is XML. Each tag tells the browser what to do with the tag contents.

Ian

UK

This is the tag contents. comment is the tag

The above is also (simplified without header) XML, but I just made up the tag names and what the contents are - its exact meaning though is only understood by me and, whilst being valid XML, a browser that understands what xHTML is would not know what best to do with it because it does not understand the tags. Unless the file was being validated against a particular schema/dtd, its is just as valid xml as the xhtml of this web page.

Basically XML is a meta data language - that is, its is a file that holds data about data. There is often two sides to an XML file. The XML file and the schema/DTD. The schema/DTD defines what the valid tags are, their structure (ie in above, person has name, location and comment) and validity of the contents.

So if you want to import XML, you need to know what the structure is so you can decode the contents of the file, and then what to do with the contents - ie, display it on screen, use it as a coordinate etc.

There are now many different dtds/schemas that have been defined for various purposes, xHTML and LandXML mentioned above are just two examples. They are all XML based, but differ in their structure and meaning of their contents.

So to import XML, you still need to understand the structure, contents and what do do with the contents when you get it. Which is exactly the same as when trying to decode non XML files such as vwx, dxf or dwg files.

What XML does provide is a consistent way of extracting data from a variable format file - for instance, extracting the contents of tag name from the above example would be done in the same way as extracting the contents of tag h1 from an xHTML document. You no longer have to worry about the intricacies of extracting data embedded somewhere in a file that may be stored in a particular data format in a particular size, possibly compressed and possibly in a completely different format that for instance a Mac and PC can each understand.

Because of this, XML allows common data formats (schemas/dtds) to be developed that can be shared across different platforms and applications. The application only needs to be aware of the format of the tags and their contents and meaning rather than how they are physically stored or supplied (such as from a file or via a data feed) to the application.

Ian

I think your thoughts above may be down playing the potential that landXML has for civil engineers, surveyors or land developers. Numerous schemas have been developed for these fields. Every major CAD software developer except Nemetschek is a member, which probably accounts for the low number of engineers & surveyors using Vectorworks, in fact most don't even know it exists.

I would suggest that any one involved in these fields visit http://www.landxml.org/.

jbrhwy, i was referring to the relationship offered by NNA to Mech Design users. i'm not suggesting that the package you use is not supported, or that you shouldn't ask for your needs to be met.

Rumour has it that there's little to be expected for Machine Design users in next years VW2010 release and as such Engineers with Mechanical based needs go with other software packages as NNA doesn't seem to be aiming at maintaining or increasing interest from those that would use Machine Design.

At least, not for now.

i'd like to be proven wrong, but only time will tell . . . . .

Chris, i think you'll find that a competent artist still makes a very good living and eats pot noodles as a choice rather than an obligation as a result of no earnings(but i can't see why anyone would choose to) and if NNA have ever displayed any interest whatsoever in any art related direction, i must have missed that episode in the VW soap . . . . .

Maybe you recorded that episode and could send me the tape. :)

Chris,

I have monitored and observed your posts for a long time now

Some people just go along with the flow and accept what is going on

Others see reality

Smoke and mirrors - the smoke settles

You do not have to look at the mirrors or allow them to reflect you away from reality

There is plenty of smoke and mirror stuff going on

Why is it we get posts from NNA staffers you can do this and you can do that in response to a post where within the same post other TOO HARD issues have been left out

Yawn and wonder if there are meetings or understandings - lets just sell the sizzle - who gives a about the sausage