Create custom plant list worksheet?

Doug L

Can I create a custom plant list worksheet (such as ID, Qty, botanical name, common name, installed size, mature width x height, form, and other data from the plant database)? Vectorworks comes with four plant list work sheets objects but they do not appear to be editable. Thanks.

The worksheet objects are editable. Make a copy of one first and bring it into your current document resource browser. Then place the worksheet on a design layer. You can then edit it by right clicking on the worksheet in the design layer. To change the field records, you may need to show 'Database headers' - this is under the little dropdown triangle probably below the cross/tick towards the top of the worksheet window.

You can also use this technique to fix the latin/botanical name error.

When you have finished editing your sheets, you can then save the document resource back to a favourite or template file so it is available in future projects.

Ian, it works! Thanks!

The columns did not seem moveable to re-arrange them, but I was able to insert new blank columns, and then copy and paste the header title cell and header code cells. But where do I find all the actual field names of the database? I found some by inserting all 4 types of plant list objects and using your above suggestions to identify some coded cell names, but some of the fields are not listed there.

New related problem:

For Growth Height, I used: ='Plant Record'.'Height' . But when the database says 18 - 24 IN, the plant list says 12.008

For Growth Spread, I used: ='Plant Record'.'Spread' . But when the database says 24 - 36 IN, the plant list says 15.

This makes no sense. I changed the cell format from General to Text, but that didn't change anything. Any suggestions?

And when I typed in ='Plant Record'.'User Comments 1' for a new column, the plant list did not pull in my custom text from Comments 1 in the database.

Ian, it works! Thanks!

The columns did not seem moveable to re-arrange them, but I was able to insert new blank columns, and then copy and paste the header title cell and header code cells. But where do I find all the actual field names of the database? I found some by inserting all 4 types of plant list objects and using your above suggestions to identify some coded cell names, but some of the fields are not listed there.

Select an object (ie a plant) then use the data tag of object info palette to examine the record information for the objects that you are interested in.

Hopefully someone else can help with your other problem - I don't very often edit worksheets.

Thanks for the tip Ian. I looked at the data tag of the object info palette and it does not match the data that I entered for the new plant in the VW database. This plant didn't exist so I (1) changed the name of a General Plant in Edit Definition, (2) went to Get Plant Data, (3) Opened VW Plants, (4) created a new plant record with my project number, (5) created the plant list, (6) dragged the my custom plant list layout from the resource browser into my file. The result is my plant list's custom growth height and growth spread fields do not match the Plant Data in my file, nor the VW plant database. What am I doing wrong? Is it step (6) above?

An older techboard item said that there is no way to update plant lists, and when you add plants, you have to create a new plant list and "when you are back in Vectorworks, you can load this plant list". How do you load? A search of VW help didn't reveal anything.

I just double checked my plant definition/plant data, and now it does match the VW database! Now (only) my selected project's plants from the VW database plant list creation are listed in the Get Plant Data window. (strange, that didn't happen after many attempts yesterday). However, these new plants and their data still don't show up properly in the plant list on my sheet layer. How do I update/load the actual plant list?