2 question for 2009

1. It's amazing VW2009 can't do 3D/Isometric dimensions yet. From the videos I've seen on parasolid technology, 3d dimensioning is a piece of cake and also one can adjust drawing parameters by adjusting the dimension itself.

2. I know there isn't an updated plug-in yet. I'd like to know if the "current" plug-in works with VW2009. Anyone? Surely someone with 2008 + C4D has 2009 and can try this out?

Thanks,

2. I know there isn't an updated plug-in yet. I'd like to know if the "current" plug-in works with VW2009. Anyone? Surely someone with 2008 + C4D has 2009 and can try this out?

A Windows Cinema 4D plugin was included with my UK VW 2009 disc if that helps you.

Hi

Thanks Ian for all your help.

It seems that VW (at least the UK version) ships with it's own set of C4D plug-ins but I suspect it wasn't created by the same people who created the previous versions, so the behavior of the plug-in seems different. From what you explained to me Ian, it would be very difficult to update a modified C4D file with changes made in VW but I could be wrong.

Anyway I guess the best and only way to find out for sure is to buy VW2009.

Thanks,

Shaun the dimensioning you describe is nothing to do with parasolid. it is to do with the constraints system that interacts with the kernel. In Siemens case, this is the D Cubed system that is licensed by practically every MCAD system around.

Until Vectorworks has a constraints system like this you won't get this kind of functionality. But as Jeffrey says, who knows what is coming? VW2009 has a lot more to it than just the parasolids kernel, buy it!

Edited by quigley

About this:

In Siemens case, this is the D Cubed system that is licensed by practically every MCAD system around.

Read this:

"That too is a part of our next top goals. And we have licensed Siemens' D-Cubed software tools and are working on implementing advanced parametrics in the next version of Vectorworks after version 2009."

http://www.architosh.com/features/2008/chatside/biplab_sarkar/080924__biplab_sarkar_1.html

I think we will have many many good things in the near future!

Edited by Mr. Gog

I think we will have many many good things in the near future!

I agree. One thing I really want is to have the history tree exposed. Another is good constraints ? that would make a strong move towards mechanical design.

I'm also gratified that Biplab has chosen a parametric approach rather than the explicit/direct modeling that has become fashionable because the learning curve is quicker. In the long run, I bet we'll see "Convert to Generic Solids" give us access to direct modeling, as well. Very exciting. But the things parametrics give you are in my opinion irreplaceable.

interesting article about parametrics vs explict modeling at

http://www.evanyares.com/the-cad-industry/2008/9/26/parametric-technology-corp-on-the-advantages-of-non-parametr.html

VW2009 has a lot more to it than just the parasolids kernel, buy it!

Like what. Seriously, I would like to know. Besides the parasolid technology, there is no other big feature. Parasolid technology was implemented "under the bonnet" which the user doesn't really experience. Basically, VW2009 is preparation for future versions. So we the users, have to pay for work done for version 2010 and beyond. Yes 2009 has some new minor features but in the past these features would have been included in a .5 release.

So seriously, list the major features, 1...2...3...... For me personally, the jury is still out on 2009, so please all feedback I can get on Vectorworks 2009, will be useful.

From the demo version I tested, I spotted the boomerang mode plus the control and alt buttons (space + ctrl + alt) should give one the zoom out tool but something weird happens-it gives the zoom out tool in the mode bar however in the drawing window an eyedropper with a yellow star icon is shown and it behaves like a new tool which I can't find in the customise section.

On the positive note however, I tested the 2008 C4D plug-in with 2009 and seems to work.

Likewise I would like to know what the eyedropper with the yellow star is. It appears when option+cmd-clicking over a NURBS object on a Mac, and it makes the slurping noise when clicked.

If you do much in 3D, the Parasolids kernel is worth every penny of the upgrade. The filleting is perfect so far, better than on any ACIS application I've used except maybe Shark. I'm getting more stability, too. 2008 was giving me lots of anxiety from data loss in 3D files.

The new snapping, selection, and drafting updates are excellent, and I miss them a lot when I use 2008.

mmyoung:

The filleting behaves the same as all other versions, by that I mean in terms of once the fillet is implemented, one can't modify the underlying solid/3D object. One has to get rid of all the fillets alter the object as required then re-fillet. This goes against what the parasolid engine is all about. Weird.

Yeah, there's no history tree. They will expose that, I have no doubt. There's a robust history tree in Shark, which I use a lot, in which you can either remove or suppress features like fillets, holes, and bosses. And as you say, it's more than useful, it's necessary on the complex objects the Parasolids engine was designed for.

But the filleting is much, much better now than with the ACIS kernel. If you have tricky fillets to make, the Parasolids version almost never misses. The ACIS version hardly ever hit one.

Well it depends entirely what kind of work you do. If you are into 3D then frankly its a no brainer. Parasolid, even in this early implementation is far more robust than the previously used kernel (which wasn't ACIS BTW - ACIS is pretty robust as well, as you will find from using Shark).

If you do a lot of Architectural design work there are some very good enhancements with symbols in walls, letting you cut the wall in any manner you want.

For 2D as has been mentioned the new pre selection and snapping and snap loupe feature really do increase productivity. Also Parasolid is used for 2D profile work as well so things like offsets are more robust.

As for the history side of the modelling well again that is more to do with the interface to the kernel rather than the kernel itself. Right now in the MCAD world there is a raging discussion about the merits of history editing vs direct face editing, driven ironically enough by Siemens with their new Synchronous Technology, and new applications like Spaceclaim. These don't use history as we would know it, in the form of a tree. I don't know what NNA are planning with this but suffice to say that parasolids will handle either scenario.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Michael,

The eyedropper with the yellow star appears whenever you hold down the option and cmd keys and move the mouse. This indicates that when you click the mouse, you will be performing a Create Similar Object command. For example, if you option-cmd click when the mouse is over a rectangle, the rectangle tool will be active, and global settings will change to match the settings of the rectangle. So if the rectangle had a red fill, the global graphical attributes would be set to red fill. The eyedropper is used, because this functionality is very similar to using the eyedropper with the Pick Up Sets Defaults option on. The yellow star serves to distinguish this from the eyedropper functionality.