Does Vw...

Has a database Foundation?

Is the adoption of vwx extension about xml or other kind of technology?

If yes, what implies?

Maybe someone (maybe NNA), can bring light on those themes. These arguments are important to the understanding of Bim in Vw.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Mr. Gog

The extension name change is a reflection of the fact that we're no longer called MiniCAD (which is where .mcd comes from). File format changes, which happen at every major version release, are necessary due to improved capabilities and the need to hold data about objects that use those capabilities. For instance, VW10 has no idea what sheet layers are, VW11 has no clue about layer transparency, VW12 can't do object transparency, etc etc.

Cris Dopher

From Architosh. Interview with Dr. Biplab Sarkar:

AFR: Last question. Your integration of FileMaker into Landmark is very elegant. It's beautiful. Why not work with a third-party FileMaker developer to tackle the cost estimation application? That way you don't have to go out and build cost estimation yourself?

BS: That could be one way to do it. But we are looking at XML and the types of tools that have been built exchanging data via XML.

AFR: Thank you Biplab Sarkar for talking to me.

Edited by Mr. Gog

Wow,

Leave you guys alone for a few days and you come up with some real doozies... ;).

Rub?n,

VWX is just an reflection/alliteration? of Vectorworks. Please don't read too much into it.

XML is a file format that VW uses to store preference files.

More research is needed to understand using XML schemas to exchange relevant BIM/CADD/file data. XML schemas are NOT universal or interchangable. gbXML is NOT the same as ifcXML. They use the same syntax, but not the same content.

Rub?n,

Aren't all file formats essentially databases? Many of them are proprietary and deal with lists of information/data in their own way.

That's what I understand.

Jeffrey:

Sometimes I talk to individuals that uses revit or another Bim application. They talk about the lack of a database foundation inside Vw.

An official argument in response to those users that are misinforming about the reality of Vectorworks, is really appreciated.

That's why I asked...

Sorry if you misunderstood, my english is not to good.

Rub?n,

When someone from another competitor's perspective asks such a question, the answer should be that VW has the ability to generate reports on any and all elements within the file by using the database worksheet functionality.

To our users, this is functionality is embodied in the "Create Reports" and "VA Create Schedule" commands. The user is able to create linked database worksheets which parse the data elements in the file as desired by the user (e.g. Door Schedule, Window Schedule). These schedules/database worksheets can be customized by the user to a very high degree. In some cases, the schedules/database worksheets are bi-directional, allowing the user to change values in the cell of the worksheet and have it change the respective parameters of the object in the file (e.g. doors and Door Schedules).

I can create database worksheets that count walls, their areas, heights, thicknesses, etc.

Truth is, VW has been doing that longer than Autodesk has owned Revit and maybe even longer than Revit has been around.

Database worksheet functionality was introduced in 1991 with MiniCAD+ 3.

Edited by Jeffrey W Ouellette