Can you set class visibilities in a SLVP for classes from a referenced DLVP

This may very well have been discussed before in the forum, but I couldn't find a specific answer:

I've referenced an external file into a DLVP, and I wish to turn some of its classes off in a SLVP. However, even when I use "viewport-specific class definitions" for the referenced DLVP, so that the classes in question are imported into the document and thus show up in the file's class list, I cannot set their visibilities in the SLVP. Am I missing something, or is the usefulness of referenced layers really that limited?

Fixed in 2009 apparently:

Has it been? I, for one, am skeptical of NNA published marketing propaganda. That question was asked in another post and I saw no clear reply that the 2008 screw-up was indeed corrected in 2009. I can not verify; I doubt we will update even one of our seats at this point...if we do, it certainly will be only one seat, just for the important wood screw capabilities ;-); twice bitten, thrice shy?