Self-Lit Objects

quote:

Originally posted by Patrick Tolen:

Greetings . . .

Can anyone tell me how to make an object that is lit independent from the external lighting?

An example is a TV monitor. How does one place an image on the monitor that will be brightly lit no matter what the lighting is like in the room it's in?

--Pat

Here's a suggestion,

create your screen, apply a texture to it that has an image of Dan Rather or something. Make the texture slightly transparent. Make the inside of the the case white and put a point source inside. Then you can adjust the brightness of the light until the screen renders correctly.

I'm fairly sure this will work but not entirely.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by MikeB (edited 03-15-2001).]

Here's how I have done this in the past (VW 8.5). Model the television, however you like. Make its screen as a separate extrude, and map your 'screen image' to the screen. Position the screen appropriately, so it looks like part of the television. Sometimes, it helps to add a little noise to your screen texture source in Photoshop. You can also brighten the image in Photoshop, if it helps.

Create a spotlight. Position it directly in front of the screen, shining onto the screen. Fool with the light's beam and field angles until you get pleasing coverage over the screen, but not washing unacceptably onto the rest of the TV. Give it a good color (experiment), to help the video effect. Adjust its brightness to a pleasing level.

Group the whole mess together, and there you are.

HTH

Use a rectangle with a hole cut out in spape that is in proportion to object to light.

position light and rectangle directly infront of object with the correct distance so shadow of rectangular hole is lined up with edge of object. light shines through hole and rectagular dognut casts shadow, make dognut completely transparent,with an applied texture @ 100% transparency and it will not render.

[This message has been edited by cfmorgan (edited 03-19-2001).]

Im suprised that the light in the box didn't work for you. After posting it I tried it myself with success. You have to set the transparency of you screen texture to maybe 75% and your point source brightness to like 250%. If it dosent work let me know & I can e-mail you my file.

Good Luck

Tried the various suggested methods.

The 'Light Inside The Box' didn't work.

The 'Light Shining At The Box' kinda works, but the time involved is very large and the coverage of the light is not quite acceptable (at least until there are rectangular lights).

Anyone have any other tips? Something we've missed? Every other 3D program has the option of an individual object ignoring outside lighting . . . doesn't this program have it?