Viewports not rendering due to lack of memory...

jwlyon1

How do I fix this?

My sheet layer is already at 72dpi. The viewport isn't that big. I can't render it at anything higher than Open GL.

I have a bunch of image mapped textures in the file, but I believe I have reduced them all to 72dpi before mapping, which leaves some of them crappy looking. The total file size is 51mb.

I've got plenty of (5 gigs) RAM and 8 friggin' cores, so whats the issue?

VW2008 SP2 Build 83388.

(Strange. I thought I'd updated with SP3? Doing that now.)

Thanks!

Edited by jwlyon1
Not really enough information, but if you attach the file I will look at it as my setup is similar to yours.

RonMan

What information is needed to diagnose this problem? I will provide whatever I can!

As far as uploading the file, I'll be happy to, but can I upload a humongous (51mb) file?

File Manager (the one on this forum) doesn't want to upload my file. It returns an error. Other options?

Edited by jwlyon1

51 MB is a bit too big to upload. When you say that it won't render, are you getting any error messages? Check the console (in the Utilities folder) and see if you are getting anything there.

Also, are you trying to render after you have been using the app a while or just after restart? There are memory leaks that can cause problems with rendering in VW2008. Starting fresh allows me to do renderings that I cannot do if I have been using VW for a few hours.

Other than these things, I don't really know enough.

If you contact me off line, I can give you a place to upload the file so I can look at it.

RonMan

Try retracing your path to the problem. Start from the basic file and add one or two textures each time and do a render. Or duplicate the file and go back one or two textures a a time and render.

You'll find the culprit texture or bottleneck.

I find that a couple of line lights and area lights that render like fluorescents make my 30-second renderings take up to 20 minutes to render.